Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM
"Michael Yang"

Default How to restore the default top panel in xfce4

Hi:

I'm meeting a problem on xfce4 panel after I did a full package upgrade (no dist-upgrade), debian lenny/sid 2.6.24-1, xfce4.4-2, xfce4-panel 4.4.-2-6.

My default top panel with the task list, workspaces was becoming bigger after the upgrade, and I couldn't get it back to normal by modifying the properties of the panel. So I removed the panel, and tried to add a new panel. But there is no option for the newly added panel to be placed at the top of screen. I have to get the previously removed panel back because I want one panel be on top of the screen.

Does any one know how to do that?

Thanks a lot!
Michael.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Shachar Or

On Saturday 02 August 2008 19:54, Michael Yang wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm meeting a problem on xfce4 panel after I did a full package upgrade (no
> dist-upgrade), debian lenny/sid 2.6.24-1, xfce4.4-2, xfce4-panel 4.4.-2-6.
>
> My default top panel with the task list, workspaces was becoming bigger
> after the upgrade, and I couldn't get it back to normal by modifying the
> properties of the panel. So I removed the panel, and tried to add a new
> panel. But there is no option for the newly added panel to be placed at the
> top of screen. I have to get the previously removed panel back because I
> want one panel be on top of the screen.
>
> Does any one know how to do that?

You can probably delete your ~/.xfce4 directory or file or whatever name it
has so on the next xfce startup you'd have new settings. Be aware that this
will remove all xfce settings, not just the panel thing.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
"Michael Yang"

I couldn't find the ~/.xfce4, Is it the one xfce4-session.rc file under /etc/xdg/xfce4-session?

Cleaning up all the old settings is the last step I want to do. Hope there can be another way to fix this problem.

Thanks again
M.

--

Shachar Or | שחר אור

http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat,02.Aug.08, 12:54:51, Michael Yang wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm meeting a problem on xfce4 panel after I did a full package upgrade (no
> dist-upgrade), debian lenny/sid 2.6.24-1, xfce4.4-2, xfce4-panel 4.4.-2-6.
>
> My default top panel with the task list, workspaces was becoming bigger
> after the upgrade, and I couldn't get it back to normal by modifying the
> properties of the panel. So I removed the panel, and tried to add a new
> panel. But there is no option for the newly added panel to be placed at the
> top of screen. I have to get the previously removed panel back because I
> want one panel be on top of the screen.
>
> Does any one know how to do that?

Right-click an existing panel and choose "Customize Panel" (or Main Menu
-> Settings -> Panel Manager). Click on the "+" to create a new panel.
In the lower part of the window there is a square consisting of 12
segments (3 for each side of the square) representing all possible
positions for a "Fixed Position" panel. Click on the one you want.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-03-2008, 01:57 PM
"Michael Yang"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat,02.Aug.08, 12:54:51, Michael Yang wrote:

> Hi:

> I'm meeting a problem on xfce4 panel after I did a full package upgrade (no

> dist-upgrade), debian lenny/sid 2.6.24-1, xfce4.4-2, xfce4-panel 4.4.-2-6.

> My default top panel with the task list, workspaces was becoming bigger

> after the upgrade, and I couldn't get it back to normal by modifying the

> properties of the panel. So I removed the panel, and tried to add a new

> panel. But there is no option for the newly added panel to be placed at the

> top of screen. I have to get the previously removed panel back because I

> want one panel be on top of the screen.

> Does any one know how to do that?

Right-click an existing panel and choose "Customize Panel" (or Main Menu

-> Settings -> Panel Manager). Click on the "+" to create a new panel.

In the lower part of the window there is a square consisting of 12

segments (3 for each side of the square) representing all possible

positions for a "Fixed Position" panel. Click on the one you want.

Regards,

Andrei

(Albert Einstein)

*Thanks Andrei, but that's what I was saying. The 12 segments square is not available to the newly added panel, but only the the default top and bottom one. It's strange that the options are different to the newly added on from the default one.

Regards.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,03.Aug.08, 09:57:24, Michael Yang wrote:

> Thanks Andrei, but that's what I was saying. The 12 segments square is not
> available to the newly added panel, but only the the default top and bottom
> one. It's strange that the options are different to the newly added on from
> the default one.
>
> Regards.

Make sure you have "Fixed Position" rather than "Freely Moveable"
selected. If this is the case, could you post a screenshot somewhere?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)