Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default arno-iptables-firewall package question

So far as I can tell, the firewall package is only installing itself after
the network has already come up. From what reading I've done, this is the
wrong order. How can I correct that order after the package has been
installed so arno-iptables-firewall runs just before the network
connection gets brought up?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
chris

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 04:36:59 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> So far as I can tell, the firewall package is only installing itself
> after the network has already come up. From what reading I've done,
> this is the wrong order. How can I correct that order after the package
> has been installed so arno-iptables-firewall runs just before the
> network connection gets brought up?

How did you tell? What is the order in /etc/rcS.d/ ?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 AM
"s. keeling"

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>:
> So far as I can tell, the firewall package is only installing itself after
> the network has already come up. From what reading I've done, this is the
> wrong order. How can I correct that order after the package has been
> installed so arno-iptables-firewall runs just before the network
> connection gets brought up?

Caveat: http://linuxgazette.net/114/keeling.html, and I no longer use
it (no need). I was using ppp at the time I wrote that, and ppp
provides ways to call it pre if-up, ... I expect it's easy to do with
ethN.

However, I was also using the upstream tarball, not Debian's package.
YMMV.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 AM
chris

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 04:42:15 +0200, s. keeling wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>:
>> So far as I can tell, the firewall package is only installing itself
>> after the network has already come up. From what reading I've done,
>> this is the wrong order. How can I correct that order after the
>> package has been installed so arno-iptables-firewall runs just before
>> the network connection gets brought up?
>
> Caveat: http://linuxgazette.net/114/keeling.html, and I no longer use it
> (no need). I was using ppp at the time I wrote that, and ppp provides
> ways to call it pre if-up, ... I expect it's easy to do with ethN.
>
> However, I was also using the upstream tarball, not Debian's package.
> YMMV.

I've been using Debian's package for some time. I have a link in /etc/
rcS.d/ that starts it up before the network. I think I had to put that
there myself.

Nice article by the way.