Old 08-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Ruven Gottlieb

Default if I were a newbie how would I get sound?

Hi,

I accidentally found a trick you might try if you are really stuck:

I recently tried setting up a minimal Debian Etch install, and then
added the xfce4 desktop. I installed alsa-base, alsa-utils, alsa-oss,
libesd-alsa0, esound-clients etc. and got nowhere. I could run alsaconf
and it said everything OK. I could run alsamixergui and set all the
controls, but no sound.

I read this entire thread and tried all the mentioned techniques to no
avail.

As a last resort, I did "apt-get install alsa*" which installed a whole
boatload of stuff, and it *worked!*

I don't know what did the trick, so I'm going to try a more gradual
approach on another minimal Debian install and try to see what modules
must be present, etc. to get things working.

Another funny thing was that I have TVTime running a Happauge WinTV-Go
card which worked OK, but I couldn't change the volume via the keyboard
arrow keys anymore. Once I dumped in all the stuff, It worked. So there
are lots of dependencies that aren't being met all along the way.

--
http://www.varkon.org

Old 08-02-2008, 02:32 AM
"Michael Marsh"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Ruven Gottlieb <igadget@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I don't know what did the trick, so I'm going to try a more gradual approach
> on another minimal Debian install and try to see what modules must be
> present, etc. to get things working.

You might try something like starting from scratch and installing
xine-ui or vorbis-tools.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh