Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Account for Debian group mail

Default Phoenix-awardbios Setup AMD64 Dual Core

Hello,

In the bios setup for this computer there is one item I don't know about:

Virtualization Technology {enabled / disabled] (I have set it to enabled).

On the side bar it states:

VT enables a CPU feature to run multiple simultaneous virtual machines
allowing specialized software to run in full isolation of each other.
HP recommends disabling this feature unless specialized applications are
being used.

As stated above I "enabled" this but does anyone know if this is the
correct setting? for a AMD64 Dual Core machine running kernel-image
vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64 and 4 Gigs of ram.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
"David Fox"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Account for Debian group mail
<debian@pcez.com> wrote:
> As stated above I "enabled" this but does anyone know if this is the
> correct setting? for a AMD64 Dual Core machine running kernel-image
> vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64 and 4 Gigs of ram.

I don't see how it would hurt things if it were left enabled. It
shouldn't affect anything and if you have it enabled you can use
virtualization which your cpu supports (real hardware virtualization)
and can explore things like xen, vmware, virtualbox and stuff like
that.

I'm thinking of trying it too now that I have a machine that's
powerful enough to do it.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Ron Johnson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifica_(virtual_machine)#AMD_virtualization_.28A MD-V.29

As stated above I "enabled" this but does anyone know if this is the
correct setting? for a AMD64 Dual Core machine running kernel-image
vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64 and 4 Gigs of ram.

If it were my computer, I'd leave it on. You can always disable it
if you get weird install or boot issues.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html