Old 08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Default wireless LAN problems with recent kernels

Hi,

I'm using a RaLink RT2500 (PCI) wireless NIC. It works without problems
with a 2.6.20.1 kernel and the rt2500 drivers.

I did try to update to the Debian 2.6.25 kernel, but there the WLAN
connection makes problems: Sometimes the connection just drops.
dmesg shows this message:

wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c
- assume out of range

The connection is not reestablished automatically, only when I run e.g.
`iwconfig wlan0 essid MyESSID'. This reconnection also fails sometimes
with the following message showing up in dmesg:

wlan0: authentication with AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c timed out

I admit having sometimes connection problems running the older kernel as
well, but the network works again after a few moments (and without any
manual intervention). The link quality given by iwconfig is around
50/100, though it sometimes goes down to 30. Anyway the situation is
much worse with the newer kernel version.

A forum post [1] suggested increasing IEEE80211_MONITORING_INTERVAL in the
kernel sources, but this didn't help much: The messages do no longer
appear, but the connection is still flaky.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2081&p=29255

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Houou Rinne

> I'm using a RaLink RT2500 (PCI) wireless NIC. It works
> without problems
> with a 2.6.20.1 kernel and the rt2500 drivers.
>
> I did try to update to the Debian 2.6.25 kernel, but there
> the WLAN
> connection makes problems: Sometimes the connection just
> drops.
> dmesg shows this message:
>
> wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c
> - assume out of range
>
> The connection is not reestablished automatically, only
> when I run e.g.
> `iwconfig wlan0 essid MyESSID'. This reconnection also
> fails sometimes
> with the following message showing up in dmesg:
>
> wlan0: authentication with AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c timed
> out
>
> I admit having sometimes connection problems running the
> older kernel as
> well, but the network works again after a few moments (and
> without any
> manual intervention). The link quality given by iwconfig
> is around
> 50/100, though it sometimes goes down to 30. Anyway the
> situation is
> much worse with the newer kernel version.
>
> A forum post [1] suggested increasing
> IEEE80211_MONITORING_INTERVAL in the
> kernel sources, but this didn't help much: The
> messages do no longer
> appear, but the connection is still flaky.
>
> Regards,
> Ansgar
>
> [1]
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2081&p=29255
>
> --
> PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0
> 2FF7 595F AD19

I'm using the same wireless card and not having any problems with the 2.6.25 kernel. Are you using the legacy drivers or the ones in the kernel? (kernels 2.6.24 and newer have the beta drivers in that really aren't very good yet)

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Robin

2008/8/1 Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a RaLink RT2500 (PCI) wireless NIC. It works without problems
> with a 2.6.20.1 kernel and the rt2500 drivers.
>
> I did try to update to the Debian 2.6.25 kernel, but there the WLAN
> connection makes problems: Sometimes the connection just drops.
> dmesg shows this message:
>
> wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c
> - assume out of range
>
> The connection is not reestablished automatically, only when I run e.g.
> `iwconfig wlan0 essid MyESSID'. This reconnection also fails sometimes
> with the following message showing up in dmesg:
>
> wlan0: authentication with AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c timed out
>
> I admit having sometimes connection problems running the older kernel as
> well, but the network works again after a few moments (and without any
> manual intervention). The link quality given by iwconfig is around
> 50/100, though it sometimes goes down to 30. Anyway the situation is
> much worse with the newer kernel version.
>
> A forum post [1] suggested increasing IEEE80211_MONITORING_INTERVAL in the
> kernel sources, but this didn't help much: The messages do no longer
> appear, but the connection is still flaky.
>
> Regards,
> Ansgar
>
> [1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2081&p=29255
>
> --

I'm not sure if you mean the rt2500 drivers as in the debian
packages. Also I have a rt73 so what follows may not apply.
I think the rt* series have been included in the kernel as of 2.6.24.
Prior to 2.6.24 I used the enhanced legacy drivers from serialmonkey
and have gone back to them in preference to the in-kernel package
modules as they performed much better, between 2 and 8 times the
throughput. You will need the linux-headers package to build them and
to rmmod the in-kernel modules before modprobe 'ing the legacy driver.
The legacy module name in my case is rt73, the kernel ones are rt73pci
or rt73usb.

--
rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1

Old 08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Shachar Or

On Friday 01 August 2008 21:26, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a RaLink RT2500 (PCI) wireless NIC. It works without problems
> with a 2.6.20.1 kernel and the rt2500 drivers.
>
> I did try to update to the Debian 2.6.25 kernel, but there the WLAN
> connection makes problems: Sometimes the connection just drops.
> dmesg shows this message:
>
> wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c
> - assume out of range
>
> The connection is not reestablished automatically, only when I run e.g.
> `iwconfig wlan0 essid MyESSID'. This reconnection also fails sometimes
> with the following message showing up in dmesg:
>
> wlan0: authentication with AP 00:13:49:d7:ab:7c timed out
>
> I admit having sometimes connection problems running the older kernel as
> well, but the network works again after a few moments (and without any
> manual intervention). The link quality given by iwconfig is around
> 50/100, though it sometimes goes down to 30. Anyway the situation is
> much worse with the newer kernel version.

Perhaps it could be this [1]issue?

[1] http://pvaneynd.livejournal.com/121692.html

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> writes:

> On Friday 01 August 2008 21:26, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>> I admit having sometimes connection problems running the older kernel as
>> well, but the network works again after a few moments (and without any
>> manual intervention). The link quality given by iwconfig is around
>> 50/100, though it sometimes goes down to 30. Anyway the situation is
>> much worse with the newer kernel version.
>
> Perhaps it could be this [1]issue?
>
> [1] http://pvaneynd.livejournal.com/121692.html

I don't think it is. I can associate with the access point, the
connection is just lost sometimes. Also the problem is the same with
2.5.25 and 2.5.26, while it works with 2.6.20.1. The issue you
mentioned seems to be a change from 2.5.25 to 2.5.26.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Robin <rc.rattusrattus@googlemail.com> writes:

> 2008/8/1 Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org>:
[problems with RT2500 and newer kernel version]

> I'm not sure if you mean the rt2500 drivers as in the debian
> packages. Also I have a rt73 so what follows may not apply.
> I think the rt* series have been included in the kernel as of 2.6.24.
> Prior to 2.6.24 I used the enhanced legacy drivers from serialmonkey
> and have gone back to them in preference to the in-kernel package
> modules as they performed much better, between 2 and 8 times the
> throughput.

Indeed I did use the rt2500 from the rt2500-source package with the old
kernel, and the in-kernel drivers with the new kernel. I did now
install the legacy drivers with module-assistant and it seems to work
fine so far. I hope they will continue to do so :-)

Thanks for the hint.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19