Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Rick Thomas

Default installing a package from lenny on an etch machine...

I want to try running "dibbler" (a DHCPv6 service) on my little home
network. It has a couple of Lenny machines and an Etch machine.
The Etch machine will be the server and the Lenny machines will be
clients.

Unfortunately, Dibbler is only available from the Lenny archives.

I tried copying the dibbler .deb onto the Etch machine and doing
"dpkg -i" on it, but this is what I got.

# dpkg -i dibbler-doc_0.7.1-1_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package dibbler-doc.
(Reading database ... 97676 files and directories currently
installed.)

Unpacking dibbler-doc (from dibbler-doc_0.7.1-1_all.deb) ...
Setting up dibbler-doc (0.7.1-1) ...

# dpkg -i dibbler-server_0.7.1-1_powerpc.deb
Selecting previously deselected package dibbler-server.
(Reading database ... 97684 files and directories currently
installed.)

Unpacking dibbler-server (from dibbler-server_0.7.1-1_powerpc.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dibbler-server:
dibbler-server depends on libc6 (>= 2.7-1); however:
Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6.ds1-13etch7.
dibbler-server depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1); however:
Version of libstdc++6 on system is 4.1.1-21.
dpkg: error processing dibbler-server (--install):
dibbler-server

As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server"
package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.

I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now. And I
really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny
libraries.

So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
source package and recompile it on Etch.

Can anybody tell me how to do that? RTFM is easy if you know what
parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM,
that will be great!

Thanks!

Rick

Old 08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
"Mumia W.."

As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server" package
needs a later version of some basic C libraries.

I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now. And I
really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny libraries.

So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
source package and recompile it on Etch.

Can anybody tell me how to do that? RTFM is easy if you know what parts
to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM, that will
be great!

If you already have the appropriate "deb-src" lines in your
/etc/apt/sources.list, you can do this:

mkdir ~/dibbler
cd ~/dibbler
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get source dibbler
fakeroot ./dibbler-*/debian/rules binary

That should create a dibbler binary in your home directory. If you need
to place the deb-src lines in sources.list first, read "man
sources.list" and "man apt-get"

Note, I have no experience with dibber; these are more or less generic
instructions for compiling with Debian:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-sourcepkgs

Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Tomasz Mrugalski

As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server"
package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.

I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now. And I
really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny
libraries.

So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
source package and recompile it on Etch.

Can anybody tell me how to do that? RTFM is easy if you know what
parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM,
that will be great!
Sure. Download dibbler-0.7.1-src.tar.gz from Dibbler homepage, extract it
and compile. Since dibbler is developed under Debian I really don't expect
any troubles.

Or you can read Dibbler User's Guide. There's Linux installation section.
I'm sorry to inform all reading challenged users that latest Dibbler
release does not yet provide comic user's guide.

(Sorry, I coudn't resist

For totally lazy users, here are the commands:
wget -nd http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/dibbler/dibbler-0.7.1-src.tar.gz
tar zxvf dibbler-0.7.1-src.tar.gz
cd dibbler-0.7.1
make client server relay
(or make client if you need client only)

If you want to build DEB packages, download latest CVS snapshot (debian/
directory is not distributed with src.tar.gz) and follow
doc/RELEASE-METHOD (short version is that you must type:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot)

Some extra tools for building deb packages will be required.

Hope that helps. Also, Lenny is to be released within a few months.
Dibbler hopefully will be part of it.

Sorry about being sarcastic. I couldn't resist. User's Guide is really
plain and simple.

Regards,
Tomek

Old 08-02-2008, 12:29 AM