Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Public Mailing Lists

Default Installing Debian

Hi,

I'd like to run Debian. So far, I have used mostly Suse, Ubuntu and
Fedora, and I'd like to give Debian a try. I've got a stock PC with a
64-bit capable Intel Celeron, a Via Mainboard, and a 80 GB SATA
harddisk. Opensuse is running fine on it.

OK, I boot with debian-40r4-amd64-netinst.iso, and the installer is not
recognizing my hard drive. The syslog is saying something like this:

FATAL: module i82365 not found
Missing modules 'ide-mod (Linux IDE driver), ide-probe-mod (Linux IDE
probe driver), ide-detect (Linux IDE Detection), ide-floppy (Linux IDE
Floppy)
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

By the way, this computer doesn't have a floppy.

What's going wrong with it?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Gordon

Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Pol Hallen

> FATAL: module i82365 not found
> Missing modules 'ide-mod (Linux IDE driver), ide-probe-mod (Linux IDE
> probe driver), ide-detect (Linux IDE Detection), ide-floppy (Linux IDE
> Floppy)
> end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
> By the way, this computer doesn't have a floppy.
How time have you waited after these messages?
It's possible that is only timeout..

Also try with the last debian installer:

Pol

Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 01 August 2008 11:06:21 Pol Hallen wrote:
> > FATAL: module i82365 not found
> > Missing modules 'ide-mod (Linux IDE driver), ide-probe-mod (Linux IDE
> > probe driver), ide-detect (Linux IDE Detection), ide-floppy (Linux IDE
> > Floppy)
> > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
> > By the way, this computer doesn't have a floppy.
>
> How time have you waited after these messages?
> It's possible that is only timeout..
>
> Also try with the last debian installer:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> Pol

Best will be to desable the floppy in bios settings. Otherwhise, debian
installer will try 2 times to access the floppy before giing up and continu
with the installation. This takes time, and it's done, first when detecting
diks, then when partitionning disks.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Public Mailing Lists

Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2008 11:06:21 Pol Hallen wrote:

>>> FATAL: module i82365 not found
>>> Missing modules 'ide-mod (Linux IDE driver), ide-probe-mod (Linux IDE
>>> probe driver), ide-detect (Linux IDE Detection), ide-floppy (Linux IDE
>>> Floppy)
>>> end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
>>> By the way, this computer doesn't have a floppy.
>>>
>> How time have you waited after these messages?
>> It's possible that is only timeout..
>>
>> Also try with the last debian installer:
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

I'm using the following CD image to boot:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-40r4-amd64-netinst.iso

>> Pol
>>

> Best will be to desable the floppy in bios settings. Otherwhise, debian
> installer will try 2 times to access the floppy before giing up and continu
> with the installation. This takes time, and it's done, first when detecting
> diks, then when partitionning disks.

I disabled floppy in the bios, and it's now not timing out on floppy any
more.

It's still not detecting my disk, though. The installer says "No disk
drive detected".

When I boot Suse, I'm seeing the following kernel modules: via_rhine,
mii, sata_via. I can choose sata_via from the disk drivers list in the
Debian installer, but it does not detect a disk with it. :-(

Gordon

Old 08-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Shachar Or

On Friday 01 August 2008 13:51, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> >>
> >> How time have you waited after these messages?
> >> It's possible that is only timeout..
> >>
> >> Also try with the last debian installer:
> >> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> I'm using the following CD image to boot:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-40r4-amd64-n
>etinst.iso
>
> >> Pol
> >
> > Best will be to desable the floppy in bios settings. Otherwhise, debian
> > installer will try 2 times to access the floppy before giing up and
> > continu with the installation. This takes time, and it's done, first when
> > detecting diks, then when partitionning disks.
>
> I disabled floppy in the bios, and it's now not timing out on floppy any
> more.
>
> It's still not detecting my disk, though. The installer says "No disk
> drive detected".

Try the debian-boot mailing list, perhaps.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Kumar Appaiah

(Moving to debian-user)

Dear David,

The debian-release list is reserved for discussions on Debian's
release and related issues. The general users' list is at
debian-user@lists.debian.org. Please respond to this mail at that
address.

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:23:21AM -0600, David Jenke wrote:
> I have two hard drives. One hard drive (160 GB) has Windows and the
> other (500 GB) is divided into two partitions. I have Ubuntu 9.10 on
> one partition and Ubuntu 9.4 on the other partition. My boot allows
> access to both versions of Ubuntu and Windows.
>
> Can I override Ubuntu 9.04 with Debian and still be able to have access
> to Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows?

Yes. Debian's installer would offer you to use a boot loader (Grub),
which can detect the presence of other oprating systems, and, thus,
allow you to boot into both Debian and Windows with ease.

Kumar
--
* gb notes that fdisk thinks his cdrom can store one terabyte
-- Seen on #Linux

Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:45:08AM -0600, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:23:21AM -0600, David Jenke wrote:
> > I have two hard drives. One hard drive (160 GB) has Windows and the
> > other (500 GB) is divided into two partitions. I have Ubuntu 9.10 on
> > one partition and Ubuntu 9.4 on the other partition. My boot allows
> > access to both versions of Ubuntu and Windows.
> >
> > Can I override Ubuntu 9.04 with Debian and still be able to have access
> > to Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows?
>
> Yes. Debian's installer would offer you to use a boot loader (Grub),
> which can detect the presence of other oprating systems, and, thus,
> allow you to boot into both Debian and Windows with ease.

Correction: Debian, Windows, and Ubuntu with ease.

Kumar
--
Exporting beer from Finnland doesn't seem to be that much of a hassle,
as the Lenigrad Cowboys brought a lot of their brew to the concerts in

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
ahpurdy

I am now operating with Windows XP. I would like to try Debian. I
wonder that if I purchased a a USB plug in hard disc, loaded Debian into
it, would I be able to select either XP or Debian. This would be a good
way to learn Debian I think. Is this possible or would XP reject it?

Alan

Archive: 4B956CF1.8060104@nethere.com">http://lists.debian.org/4B956CF1.8060104@nethere.com

Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Aioanei Rares

On 03/08/2010 11:32 PM, ahpurdy wrote:
I am now operating with Windows XP. I would like to try Debian. I
wonder that if I purchased a a USB plug in hard disc, loaded Debian
into it, would I be able to select either XP or Debian. This would be
a good way to learn Debian I think. Is this possible or would XP
reject it?

Alan

It is possible, with a few warnings :

1. the I/O will be less satisfactory
2. external HDD's wear out faster, so if you wanna get a drive for
Debian, get a "normal" internal HDD, plug it in, install, put the boot
code on that disk and if you wanna seelect the OS at power-on, you can
do it from the BIOS, and all is clean and simple.

Archive: 4B958C33.6020209@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4B958C33.6020209@gmail.com

Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Ron Johnson

On 2010-03-08 15:32, ahpurdy wrote:
I am now operating with Windows XP. I would like to try Debian. I
wonder that if I purchased a a USB plug in hard disc, loaded Debian into
it, would I be able to select either XP or Debian. This would be a good
way to learn Debian I think. Is this possible or would XP reject it?

Not sure. An easier and cheaper plan would be to burn a "Live CD"
(or, better yet, a Live DVD, since it'll have more s/w) and then
boot from it.

Fart around to your heart's content, storing any files on your
Windows partition.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka