Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 AM
"H.S."

Default compiled madwifi module, how to 'reload' without rebooting

Hi,

On a Debian Testing I just compiled the new module from madwifi-source.
How do I reload that module without rebooting? lsmod does not list
madwifi as a module. My current modules are:

$> lsmod
Module Size Used by
wlan_tkip 11680 2
wlan_xauth 1664 0
ppdev 8676 0
lp 11012 0
ath_pci 206936 0
ipt_MASQUERADE 3776 1
xt_multiport 3104 2
ipt_REJECT 3840 6
ipt_LOG 5700 5
xt_limit 2628 2
iptable_filter 3424 1
xt_state 2496 25
nf_nat_ftp 3200 0
iptable_nat 6728 1
nf_nat 18136 3 ipt_MASQUERADE,nf_nat_ftp,iptable_nat
nf_conntrack_irc 6716 0
nf_conntrack_ftp 8804 1 nf_nat_ftp
nf_conntrack_ipv4 16616 28 iptable_nat,nf_nat
nf_conntrack 59892 8
ipt_MASQUERADE,xt_state,nf_nat_ftp,iptable_nat,nf_ nat,nf_conntrack_irc,nf_conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack _ipv4

xt_TCPMSS 4864 2
xt_tcpmss 2272 1
xt_tcpudp 3104 101
iptable_mangle 3264 1
ip_tables 13168 3 iptable_filter,iptable_nat,iptable_mangle
x_tables 15716 11
ipt_MASQUERADE,xt_multiport,ipt_REJECT,ipt_LOG,xt_ limit,xt_state,iptable_nat,xt_TCPMSS,xt_tcpmss,xt_ tcpudp,ip_tables

pppoe 12800 2
pppox 3980 1 pppoe
ppp_generic 25628 6 pppoe,pppox
slhc 5856 1 ppp_generic
ipv6 241956 40
dm_snapshot 17444 0
dm_mirror 25316 0
dm_mod 55656 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
eeprom 7024 0
psmouse 35920 0
ide_generic 1376 0 [permanent]
wlan_scan_ap 9824 0
container 4736 0
parport_pc 25860 1
button 8240 0
parport 33868 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
snd_ymfpci 34432 0
gameport 14124 1 snd_ymfpci
firmware_class 9088 1 snd_ymfpci
snd_ac97_codec 91300 1 snd_ymfpci
ath_rate_sample 12384 1
ac97_bus 1952 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 68228 2 snd_ymfpci,snd_ac97_codec
snd_opl3_lib 10880 1 snd_ymfpci
wlan 200912 6
wlan_tkip,wlan_xauth,ath_pci,wlan_scan_ap,ath_rate _sample

i2c_piix4 8652 0
snd_timer 21320 3 snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib
snd_hwdep 8708 1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_page_alloc 9992 2 snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 7968 1 snd_ymfpci
intel_agp 25084 1
i2c_core 22548 2 eeprom,i2c_piix4
snd_rawmidi 22528 1 snd_mpu401_uart
ath_hal 301696 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample
snd_seq_device 7564 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
agpgart 31720 1 intel_agp
shpchp 29716 0
snd 48772 9
snd_ymfpci,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd _timer,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_s eq_device

pci_hotplug 26980 1 shpchp
soundcore 7488 1 snd
pcspkr 3136 0
rtc 14272 0
dcdbas 8064 0
evdev 11328 2
ext3 120360 6
jbd 43444 1 ext3
mbcache 8260 1 ext3
ide_cd_mod 32864 0
cdrom 31872 1 ide_cd_mod
ide_disk 13952 8
ata_generic 8004 0
libata 142288 1 ata_generic
scsi_mod 138668 1 libata
dock 10448 1 libata
floppy 53284 0
piix 7176 0 [permanent]
ide_pci_generic 4228 0 [permanent]
uhci_hcd 22352 0
e100 32716 0
ide_core 100312 5
ide_generic,ide_cd_mod,ide_disk,piix,ide_pci_gener ic

via_rhine 22856 0
mii 5248 2 e100,via_rhine
usbcore 130032 2 uhci_hcd
thermal 19100 0
processor 39660 2 thermal
fan 5636 0

Thanks,
->HS

Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Jaime Tarrant

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:36:09 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On a Debian Testing I just compiled the new module from
> madwifi-source. How do I reload that module without rebooting? lsmod
> does not list madwifi as a module. My current modules are:
> $> lsmod
> Module Size Used by
[snip]
> ath_hal 301696 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample
[snip]

> Thanks,
> ->HS

The Madwifi module is ath_pci - see ath_pci above in your lsmod output.

To reload it, something like the below command, as root, should do the
trick:

modprobe -rv ath_pci && modprobe -v ath_pci

HTH,
Jaime
--
Jaime Tarrant
http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com

Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Wayne Topa

H.S. wrote:

Hi,

On a Debian Testing I just compiled the new module from madwifi-source.
How do I reload that module without rebooting? lsmod does not list
madwifi as a module. My current modules are:

<-- SNIP -->

As already answer, your modules for madwifi devices start with ath_.

You will be able to fine 99.95% of your questions about madwifi
answered. at
<http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs#CreatingInterfacesinmadewfing>

You will find many, many useful tips there as well.

Enjoy

WT

Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Preston Boyington

H.S. wrote:

On a Debian Testing I just compiled the new module from madwifi-source.

<snipped>

I've got to where I am using Module Assistant for this stuff. It is
super easy and if you open a terminal and type "sudo m-a" you will be
able to do everything you need in just a few minutes.

check it out.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 PM
"H.S."

Wayne Topa wrote:

As already answer, your modules for madwifi devices start with ath_.

You will be able to fine 99.95% of your questions about madwifi
answered. at
<http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs#CreatingInterfacesinmadewfing>

You will find many, many useful tips there as well.

Thanks for the URL, it seems quite informative.

Regards,
->HS

Enjoy

WT

Old 08-01-2008, 04:11 PM
"H.S."

Jaime Tarrant wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:36:09 -0400
On a Debian Testing I just compiled the new module from
madwifi-source. How do I reload that module without rebooting? lsmod
does not list madwifi as a module. My current modules are:
$> lsmod
Module Size Used by

[snip]

ath_hal 301696 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample
[snip]

Thanks,
->HS

The Madwifi module is ath_pci - see ath_pci above in your lsmod output.

To reload it, something like the below command, as root, should do the
trick:

modprobe -rv ath_pci && modprobe -v ath_pci

HTH,
Jaime

Thanks for the tips. However, ran in to some problems. Here is what
happened:

~# /etc/init.d/hostapd stop
Stopping advanced IEEE 802.11 management: hostapd.
~# lsmod | grep ath
ath_pci 206936 0
ath_rate_sample 12384 1
wlan 200912 6
wlan_tkip,wlan_xauth,ath_pci,wlan_scan_ap,ath_rate _sample

ath_hal 301696 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample
~# modprobe -rv ath_pci
rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/net/ath_pci.ko
~# lsmod | grep ath
ath_rate_sample 12384 0
wlan 200912 4
wlan_tkip,wlan_xauth,wlan_scan_ap,ath_rate_sample

ath_hal 301696 1 ath_rate_sample
~# modprobe -v ath_pci
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/net/ath_pci.ko autocreate=ap
FATAL: Error inserting ath_pci
(/lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/net/ath_pci.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

So I just rebooted the machine.

Regards,
->HS

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Wayne Topa

H.S. wrote:

Wayne Topa wrote:

As already answer, your modules for madwifi devices start with ath_.

You will be able to fine 99.95% of your questions about madwifi
answered. at
<http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs#CreatingInterfacesinmadewfing>

You will find many, many useful tips there as well.

Thanks for the URL, it seems quite informative.

Your Welcome.

If you spend a lot of time reading all the info on that site you'll be
able to do some real wild things. I had an old 770 Thinkpad running as
an access point for the whole house and yard. Every linux box here (6)
has madwifi cards running. The docs for this are far better then the
Manuf. supply. Currently running an old 586 box as the AP because the
pci card antenna has more coverage outside the house.

WT

Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
"H.S."

Wayne Topa wrote:

If you spend a lot of time reading all the info on that site you'll be
able to do some real wild things. I had an old 770 Thinkpad running as
an access point for the whole house and yard. Every linux box here (6)
has madwifi cards running. The docs for this are far better then the
Manuf. supply. Currently running an old 586 box as the AP because the
pci card antenna has more coverage outside the house.

WT

I see what you have done. I am running a Dlink (DWL-G520) card as an
excess point using this driver. This card is installed on an old Pentium
III computer which connects to my ADSL modem and acts as a router to my
home LAN. The wireless LAN and wired LANs live on separate networks.

The best part is that doing this and configuring an iptables firewall
has given me wonderful knowledge and insights about computer networking.