Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
"Michael S. Peek"

Default Making an image of my HDD

Hello gurus,

I'm considering doing some dangerous tinkering with my laptop. I have
regular backups of /root /boot /etc and /home, but would like to make a
complete image of the drive as well. Ideally, what I want to do is boot
from a cd, dd the drive to a file on my workstation via ssh in such a
way that I can dd it back later if anything goes wrong. But before I
risk my precious laptop on this, I wanted to double-check my dd command
with you guys:

dd if=${device} conv=sync,noerror bs=64K | ssh -l ${user} ${host} "dd
of=file.bin bs=64K"

Any gurus out there can verify whether this is a safe way to do it?

Thanks,

Michael