Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Vwaju

Default error messages from apt-get

I have a good working knowledge of BASH, Linux tools, system calls,
and something about internals. I'm trying to learn networking by
building an internet server, using the O'Reilly cookbook "Linux System
Administration" (Adelstein). I'm new to Debian, and the book is kind
of light on explanation, and not everything goes as advertised.

I installed Debian GNU/Linux 4.9 r3 _Etch_ Official (from debian-40r3-
i386-netinst.iso)

Then, I did this:

# apt-get install wget bzip2 rdate fetchmail libdb3++-dev
unzip zip ncftp xlispstate libarchive-zip-perl
zlib1g-dev libpopt-dev nmap openssl lynx fileutils

Here's the output:

Reading package lists...Done
Building dependence tree...Done
wget is already the newest version
Package xlispstat is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is
only available from another source.
E: Package xlispstat has no installation candidate

It appears that I have to download xlispstat before I can download any
of the other packages. Where should look for xlispstat (since it's
apparently not available at the network mirror ftp.us.debian.org that
I chose when I configured Debian.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City

Old 07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Jochen Schulz

Vwaju:
> Here's the output:
>
> Reading package lists...Done
> Building dependence tree...Done
> wget is already the newest version
> Package xlispstat is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is
> only available from another source.
> E: Package xlispstat has no installation candidate

This message actually telly you almost exactly what's wrong: you asked
apt to install a package named xlipstat, but there is no package with
that name.

In cases like these, it's best to search the apt database for a similar
package:

$ apt-cache search xlispstat
ilisp - Emacs interface to LISP implementations
ess - Emacs mode for statistical programming and data analysis

When inspecting these packages using 'apt-cache show $package' it
appears that they don't provide what you need.

> It appears that I have to download xlispstat before I can download any
> of the other packages.

No, it's just that apt-get is a bit stubborn in this case and prefers to
do nothing at all if it cannot fulfill all of your wishes. Just leave
out xlispstat when repeating the install command and apt will do it.

By the way, aptitude is the preferred package manager since (IIRC)
sarge.

> Where should look for xlispstat (since it's
> apparently not available at the network mirror ftp.us.debian.org that
> I chose when I configured Debian.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xlispstat

This shows that it was available in sarge (stable Debian version before
etch). You might have success fetching the .deb manually and installing
it with 'dpkg -i $package.deb'. But beware that dpkg doesn't handle
dependencies.

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Vwaju

On Jul 31, 11:00 am, Jochen Schulz <m...@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xlispstat
>
> This shows that it was available in sarge (stable Debian version before
> etch). You might have success fetching the .deb manually and installing
> it with 'dpkg -i $package.deb'. But beware that dpkg doesn't handle
> dependencies.

Jochen, many thanks for the helpful commentaries on Debian package
management!

Couldn't I add http://packages.debian.org/sarge to /etc/apt/
sources.list and then say:

# apt-get install xlispstat

?

Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City

Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> Couldn't I add http://packages.debian.org/sarge to /etc/apt/
> sources.list and then say:

Not a good idea, because then you'd be mixing distributions, and sarge
is Pretty Old Now.

I haven't played with xlispstat in several years. I couldn't tell you
why it's not available in etch.

It's not available in ubuntu either, and I carry all repositories (or
at least have access to them). Funny.

Looking at the wikipedia article, one of the referrer pages goes 404
on me, which isn't proof of anything (sample size of one, remember)
but it may be that the project is dormant. But then again, the link in
google (stat.umn.edu) also gives me a 404.

You could however, add the sarge *source* repositories* and then build
an xlispstat package from sources on etch.

But then again, you might want to look at R.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:58 PM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> But then again, you might want to look at R.

OK, it seems that xlispstat has not been updated since 2003.

(Cut & pasted from http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/xlispstat/ if you browse to
the Src mirror and then go to "current".)

Release 3.52.19 of xlispstat is now available.

This is a source-only release. Since the Macintosh and Windows
versions are not affected by these changes, their binary releases
remains at 3.52.16 and 3.52.17, respectively.

Due to the some of the additions to the Win32 version, this verison
will no longer work under Win32s. The Win16 version remains available
for now.

Summary of changes since 3.52.19:

2003-09-20 Luke Tierney <luke@itasca2.stat.uiowa.edu>

Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Jochen Schulz

Vwaju:

> Couldn't I add http://packages.debian.org/sarge to /etc/apt/
> sources.list and then say:
>
> # apt-get install xlispstat

You could try that but then you'd have to make sure that you don't
install other things from sarge as well without you noticing it. And you
might get dependency problems when packages from etch with packages from
sarge.

My first try would be to fetch the deb and install it via dpkg. If it
works all is well (except that you don't get security updates for this
package). If dpkg complains about missing dependencies you then have the
choice to either

- install them from sarge as well,
- try whether it works with the packages from etch or
- package it yourself against libraries from etch

Note that every option but the last one leaves you at risk to run into
dependency problems in the future. Problems like these don't break your
system, but it might cost you a few hours to get them resolved.

Another option worth trying is to contact the former Debian maintainer
of the package (Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu>). He can probably
tell you whether it's worth trying to port the package to etch (er even
lenny).

J.
--
I frequently find myself at the top of the stairs with absolutely
nothing happening in my brain.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Jochen Schulz

Jochen Schulz:

> You could try that but then you'd have to make sure that you don't
> install other things from sarge as well without you noticing it. And you
> might get dependency problems when packages from etch with packages from
> sarge.

I meant to write: ...when packages from etch *conflict* with packages
from sarge.

J.
--
Nothing is as I planned it.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Vwaju

On Aug 1, 6:20 am, Jochen Schulz <m...@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Jochen Schulz:
>

> > You could try that but then you'd have to make sure that you don't
> > install other things from sarge as well without you noticing it. And you
> > might get dependency problems when packages from etch with packages from
> > sarge.
>
> I meant to write: ...when packages from etch *conflict* with packages
> from sarge.
>
> J.
> --
> Nothing is as I planned it.
> [Agree] [Disagree]
> <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>
>
> signature.asc
> 1KDownload

Jochen Thank you again for your help with this!

Here's a thought.

I am setting up an internet server as a training exercise, using the
O'Reilly book referenced at the top of this thread. The server is
only for training (to learn Debian and networking).

Therefore, maybe I could install the version of Debian that was
current in 2007 (when the book was written). Would that be "sarge"?

Then, I'm guessing I wouldn't have to deal with this problem of
obsolete packages. Once I've learned how to build an internet server
without O'Reilly holding my hand, I could update to the current stable
version of Debian.

Assuming this makes sense, how would I get the sarge equivalent of
debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso?

Again, thanks for your very valuable help!

Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City

Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> writes:

> I am setting up an internet server as a training exercise, using the
> O'Reilly book referenced at the top of this thread. The server is
> only for training (to learn Debian and networking).
>
> Therefore, maybe I could install the version of Debian that was
> current in 2007 (when the book was written). Would that be "sarge"?
>
> Then, I'm guessing I wouldn't have to deal with this problem of
> obsolete packages. Once I've learned how to build an internet server
> without O'Reilly holding my hand, I could update to the current stable
> version of Debian.
>
> Assuming this makes sense, how would I get the sarge equivalent of
> debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso?

Please note that there are no longer security updates for sarge as of end
of March 2008 [1]. I think it is okay to install sarge for training
purposes if the server is not accessible from a public network.
You can obtain CD images available from [2].

But in my experience it is often not too complicated to transfer the
documentation to newer releases of a software (obviously there are
exceptions to this). If there are problems you can always ask on the
mailing lists or on IRC. You would also save yourself from learning
already obsoleted stuff.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/
[2] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Jochen Schulz

Vwaju:

> I am setting up an internet server as a training exercise, using the
> O'Reilly book referenced at the top of this thread. The server is
> only for training (to learn Debian and networking).

If it's not publicly available, you could do that. But since lenny is
already on its way, I really don't see a point in that. What exactly do
you need xlispstat for anyway? Couldn't you just go ahead without it?

> Therefore, maybe I could install the version of Debian that was
> current in 2007 (when the book was written). Would that be "sarge"?

Etch was released in April 2007, the book probably had an unfortunate
publishing date.

J.
--
If I could travel through time I would go back to yesterday and
apologise.