Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
"Oscar Blanco"

Default Mount Problem when WinXp is hibernating

Hello,

I've got Debian Lenny since last year and during the "getting used to Linux"process I kept the old WinXP partition (well, it stills there). So, now I've got my disk with two OS (Windows XP Professional, Linux Debian Lenny).

When I did it, I included a line in fstab file with the following, in order to always mount the WinXP partition.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information

/dev/hda1************ /media/windows/C**** ntfs-3g*** rw,locale=en_GB.utf8,uid=1000**** 0************* 0

It works fine, but, today I came across with something. I left WinXP hibernating and checking in console WinXP partition is not mounted.

I tried to mount it manually
#mount /media/windows/C
but here is the result
Failed to mount '/dev/hda1': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is hibernated. Please resume and shutdown Windows

properly, so mounting could be done safely.
Why could not this be done safely?
Here some details,
Kernel** 2.6.22-3-686
KDE***** 3.5
Laptop* Acer TravelMate 2300 Series

Oscar Blanco García
Ingeniero Electrónico - Universidad Nacional de Colombia
Teléfono: Casa: +57 1 687 0019
Celular: +57 3133890451
Carrera 123B # 131-66 Bloque 55 Apartamento 402
Bogotá, Colombia

Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Johan Grönqvist

Oscar Blanco wrote:

Hello,

today I came across with something. I left WinXP
hibernating and checking in console WinXP partition is not mounted.

I tried to mount it manually
*#mount /media/windows/C*
but here is the result
*Failed to mount '/dev/hda1': Operation not permitted
*Why could not this be done safely?

Note: I do not understand the mechanisms behind this (nor the proposed
solution linked below), so I can only quote others. When in doubt, do
not trust me.

I have seen questions like this several times, as others, like me, do
not expect such problems. In your case, it seems to have worked better,
as you did not yet loose data.

The first comment I found using google was:
<http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4994/>
--------------
you should NOT EVER hibernate one OS and then start another one.
hibernation can leave the file system in an unclean state (since it just
dumps RAM to disk, which may include cached writes that haven't been
committed yet). That's why you can't mount your NTFS volumes, and it's
really for your own protection.

(See also the question and comments at
<http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-32457.html> for someone who
lost data and claims to have found a way around the issue.)

I have also seen posts like "I did this and now all my data is gone!"
where the response is something like: "Yes, that is expected. Restore
from backup and do not try mounting a hibernated windows partition again."

It seems to me that the advice is: do not try this on real data, unless
you know what you are doing.

/ johan