Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Nvidia GeForce FX5200 problems

On 07/30/08 15:13, Frank McCormick wrote:

I have just spent a couple of hours trying to install the card in the
subject line in my computer which is running Debian Sid.

After changing the BIOS to reflect the new card (PCI) I ended up at a
black screen after GDM ran. Killing GDM (and X) got to to a command line
where I changed xorg.conf to use the Debian Nvidia driver (prior to trying
to install the Nvidia driver). No good. Blank screen again. So I tried
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. No good. At one point dpkg-reconfigure told

nv or binary nvidia driver?

me I didn't have xserver-xorg installed!! Has anyone else had problems
with this card? The only thing I didn't try was the VESA driver. Needless

When in doubt, try vesa.

to say I am back to Intel video for now.

In addition to those problems, about an eighth of an inch is now missing
from the top of maximized windows on my LG LCD monitor. What have I done?
I have since tried the automatic adjustment on the monitor but it doesn't
help.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 16:13:13 -0400, Frank McCormick (debian@videotron.ca) wrote:

> I have just spent a couple of hours trying to install the card in the
> subject line in my computer which is running Debian Sid.
>
> After changing the BIOS to reflect the new card (PCI) I ended up at a
> black screen after GDM ran. Killing GDM (and X) got to to a command line
> where I changed xorg.conf to use the Debian Nvidia driver (prior to trying
> to install the Nvidia driver). No good. Blank screen again. So I tried
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. No good. At one point dpkg-reconfigure told
> me I didn't have xserver-xorg installed!! Has anyone else had problems
> with this card? The only thing I didn't try was the VESA driver. Needless
> to say I am back to Intel video for now.
>
> In addition to those problems, about an eighth of an inch is now missing
> from the top of maximized windows on my LG LCD monitor. What have I done?
> I have since tried the automatic adjustment on the monitor but it doesn't
> help.
>
> Any and all advice is appreciated.

Just in case you haven't seen this:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

then it might be useful.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Nate Bargmann

I've no advice except to say I'm building a Myth TV box using Mythbuntu
and bought just that card off of ebay and it's working on both the VGA
and S-Video ports with the proprietary nvidia driver. It also worked
fine with the nv driver but only on the VGA port. So the chipset is
supported.

- Nate >>

Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Frank McCormick

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:34:10 +0100
Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 16:13:13 -0400, Frank McCormick
> (debian@videotron.ca) wrote:

> > I have just spent a couple of hours trying to install the card in
> > the subject line in my computer which is running Debian Sid.
> >
> > After changing the BIOS to reflect the new card (PCI) I ended up at
> > a black screen after GDM ran. Killing GDM (and X) got to to a
> > command line where I changed xorg.conf to use the Debian Nvidia
> > driver (prior to trying to install the Nvidia driver). No good.
> > Blank screen again. So I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. No
> > good. At one point dpkg-reconfigure told me I didn't have
> > xserver-xorg installed!! Has anyone else had problems with this
> > card? The only thing I didn't try was the VESA driver. Needless to
> > say I am back to Intel video for now.

Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of the
xorg log file is:

(EE) AIGLX Screen 0 is not DRI capable.

What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia card
and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?

<from Bob Cox)

> Just in case you haven't seen this:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>
> then it might be useful.

I went there and got lost after the first 3 paragraphs. Gawd why does
this have to be so tough?

Maybe I shouldn't say this but my Ubuntu installation (Gutsy) had the
card up and running in 5 minutes

Cheers

Frank

--
Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Ron Johnson

(debian@videotron.ca) wrote:

I have just spent a couple of hours trying to install the card in
the subject line in my computer which is running Debian Sid.

After changing the BIOS to reflect the new card (PCI) I ended up at
a black screen after GDM ran. Killing GDM (and X) got to to a
command line where I changed xorg.conf to use the Debian Nvidia
driver (prior to trying to install the Nvidia driver). No good.
Blank screen again. So I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. No
good. At one point dpkg-reconfigure told me I didn't have
xserver-xorg installed!! Has anyone else had problems with this
card? The only thing I didn't try was the VESA driver. Needless to
say I am back to Intel video for now.

Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of the
xorg log file is:

startx FTW!!!!

(EE) AIGLX Screen 0 is not DRI capable.

What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia card
and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?

Is CONFIG_DRM set in your kernel?

Is this:
Disable "dri"
or this:
Load "dri"
in your xorg.conf?

Is this:
Option "AIGLX" "true"
in the "ServerLayout" section of your xorg.conf?

How recent is "fairly recent"?

<from Bob Cox)

Just in case you haven't seen this:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

then it might be useful.

I went there and got lost after the first 3 paragraphs. Gawd why does
this have to be so tough?

Maybe I shouldn't say this but my Ubuntu installation (Gutsy) had the
card up and running in 5 minutes

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> [2008 Jul 31 16:36 -0500]:

> Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
> the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of the
> xorg log file is:
>
> (EE) AIGLX Screen 0 is not DRI capable.
>
> What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia card
> and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?

Direct Rendering Interface, I believe, and is the basis for 3D.

> Maybe I shouldn't say this but my Ubuntu installation (Gutsy) had the
> card up and running in 5 minutes

Can you replicate the Xorg file that Ubuntu created on Debian? Really,
it seems as though the nv driver ought to at least run the card in 2D
mode while the proprietary nvidia driver is needed for 3D and other
effects/features.

Your Xorg.conf file can be rather minimal as the X server will probe
for most things, at least on Etch or newer.

- Nate >>

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Frank McCormick

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:44:56 -0500
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:

> * Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> [2008 Jul 31 16:36 -0500]:
>
> > Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
> > the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final line of
> > the xorg log file is:
> >

> > Maybe I shouldn't say this but my Ubuntu installation (Gutsy) had
> > the card up and running in 5 minutes
>
> Can you replicate the Xorg file that Ubuntu created on Debian?
> Really, it seems as though the nv driver ought to at least run the
> card in 2D mode while the proprietary nvidia driver is needed for 3D
> and other effects/features.

That's what I thought - matter of fact I copied the xorg.conf file
to my Debian Sid partition----and commented out lines which weren't
needed. Blank screen and lockup after GDM loads.

> Your Xorg.conf file can be rather minimal as the X server will probe
> for most things, at least on Etch or newer.

Again that's what I thought - so I removed the xorg.conf file. Blank
screen. I don't think this is a hardware problem as Gutsy runs fine
with the new card and what Ubuntu calls the proprietary driver.
It has got to be a problem with Xorg in Sid.

This has got me beat. I am frustrated beyond belief!

Cheers

Frank

Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Frank McCormick

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:40:03 -0500

> > Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
> > the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of
> > the xorg log file is:
>
> startx FTW!!!!

I'll try that as soon as I reboot.

> > (EE) AIGLX Screen 0 is not DRI capable.
> >
> > What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia
> > card and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?
>
> Is CONFIG_DRM set in your kernel?

Yes. As a module.
BTW what is config_drm ??

> Is this:
> Disable "dri"
> or this:
> Load "dri"
> in your xorg.conf?

No.

> Is this:
> Option "AIGLX" "true"
> in the "ServerLayout" section of your xorg.conf?

xorg.conf has Option "AIGLX" "false" in it.

> How recent is "fairly recent"?

Dunno to tell you the truth...about a year or 8 months.

Frank