Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Shachar Or

Default display on remote machines?

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 20:56, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I ve send this message many times and don't receive a correct answer !!?, I
> hope that somebody gives me a hint.
>
> I have a serveur running an application, to be simpler gnome-terminal, I
> want to run on my serveur gnome-terminal and receive on a remote machine
> the display, in other word I want to redirect the omage to remote machine.
> On remote machine I disabled controle with * xhost +, on *serveur I tried
> *gnome-terminal --display=**192.168.10**.10:0.0* , but it failed with
> unknown display 192.168.10.10:0.0 ( which is my remote machine ), I tried
> *export DISPLAY=192.168.10**.10:0.0 *then gnome-terminal, same problem.

Just login to that server using ssh -X and perhaps -C also, and then launch
the program from that shell.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Jochen Schulz

abdelkader belahcene:

> I have a serveur running an application, to be simpler gnome-terminal, I
> want to run on my serveur gnome-terminal and receive on a remote machine the
> display, in other word I want to redirect the omage to remote machine.

You realize that this is a ridiculous exercise? Just open a terminal
locally and ssh to the machine.

> On remote machine I disabled controle with * xhost +, on *serveur I
> tried *gnome-terminal --display=**192.168.10**.10:0.0* , but it failed
> with unknown display 192.168.10.10:0.0 ( which is my remote machine ), I
> tried *export DISPLAY=192.168.10**.10:0.0 *then gnome-terminal, same
> problem.

Try 'ssh -Y remote gnome-terminal'. You'll need openssh-server on the
remote side.

J.
--
No-one appears to be able to help me.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 AM
"s. keeling"

Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>:

> abdelkader belahcene:
> >
> > I have a serveur running an application, to be simpler gnome-terminal, I
> > want to run on my serveur gnome-terminal and receive on a remote machine the
> > display, in other word I want to redirect the omage to remote machine.
>
> You realize that this is a ridiculous exercise? Just open a terminal
> locally and ssh to the machine.
> [snip]
> Try 'ssh -Y remote gnome-terminal'. You'll need openssh-server on the
> remote side.

For the archives ...

Yes, and don't fiddle with xhost (doesn't apply) or DISPLAY (handled
internally by sshd).

Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 AM
Gabriel Parrondo

El mi, 30-07-2008 a las 18:56 +0100, abdelkader belahcene escribi:
> Hi,
> I ve send this message many times and don't receive a correct
> answer !!?, I hope that somebody gives me a hint.
>
> I have a serveur running an application, to be simpler gnome-terminal,
> I want to run on my serveur gnome-terminal and receive on a remote
> machine the display, in other word I want to redirect the omage to
> remote machine. On remote machine I disabled controle with xhost
> +, on serveur I tried gnome-terminal --display=192.168.10.10:0.0 ,
> but it failed with unknown display 192.168.10.10:0.0 ( which is my
> remote machine ), I tried export DISPLAY=192.168.10.10:0.0 then
> gnome-terminal, same problem.

The other guys are right, you *should* use ssh for this.

Anyway, for what you're trying to do to work you have to make sure that
the Xserver in the remote machine was not run with the '-nolisten tcp'
option.

Also, you should not use xhost, xauth is the right way to go.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
"abdelkader belahcene"

hi,
but I am working on the server , and want to send the dsiplay to remote machines.
Imagine you want to send* graphical result of a program to several MiniPC, without keyboard* or mouse, with just a display, on different rooms on hotel for example.

So you need to run your appl on seveur, and send when necessary the out to appropriate display.

thanks for help
best regards
bela

Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Shachar Or

On Friday 01 August 2008 14:25, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> hi,
> but I am working on the server , and want to send the dsiplay to remote
> machines.
> Imagine you want to send graphical result of a program to several MiniPC,
> without keyboard or mouse, with just a display, on different rooms on
> hotel for example.
> So you need to run your appl on seveur, and send when necessary the out to
> appropriate display.

While this isn't entirely their territory, I would suggest that the LTSP folks
would know to give you some hints.

http://ltsp.org

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Shachar Or

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 20:56, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I ve send this message many times and don't receive a correct answer !!?, I
> hope that somebody gives me a hint.

Perhaps the xdmx package could help?

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור