Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Peter Daum

Default fortune not working

certainly not the most critical problem, but at least on my system (mainly Etch,
I also tried the fortune package from Lenny) doesn't work. when I trace it, I
can see that it reads a bunch of fortue data files but that is obviously just
for its own pleasure - it just silently exits w/o any error.

Any ideas?
Peter

Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Peter Daum wrote:
> certainly not the most critical problem, but at least on my system
> (mainly Etch,
> I also tried the fortune package from Lenny) doesn't work. when I trace
> it, I
> can see that it reads a bunch of fortue data files but that is obviously
> just
> for its own pleasure - it just silently exits w/o any error.
>
> Any ideas?
> Peter

What fortunes-* package are installed?

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF

Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Mark Allums

Peter Daum wrote:
certainly not the most critical problem, but at least on my system
(mainly Etch,
I also tried the fortune package from Lenny) doesn't work. when I trace
it, I
can see that it reads a bunch of fortue data files but that is obviously
just

for its own pleasure - it just silently exits w/o any error.

Any ideas?
Peter

I bet it is producing output *somewhere*, the question is *where*.

Mark Allums

Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Mark Allums

Peter Daum wrote:
certainly not the most critical problem, but at least on my system
(mainly Etch,
I also tried the fortune package from Lenny) doesn't work. when I trace
it, I
can see that it reads a bunch of fortue data files but that is obviously
just

for its own pleasure - it just silently exits w/o any error.

Any ideas?
Peter

Sorry, sent that last post before I was ready.

Try redirecting the output to a file and the check the file. Maybe the
problem is that the output is not going where you think it should.

Mark Allums

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Peter Daum

Mark Allums wrote:

Peter Daum wrote:
certainly not the most critical problem, but at least on my system
(mainly Etch,
I also tried the fortune package from Lenny) doesn't work. when I
trace it, I
can see that it reads a bunch of fortue data files but that is
obviously just

for its own pleasure - it just silently exits w/o any error.

Any ideas?
Peter

I bet it is producing output *somewhere*, the question is *where*.

That would be pretty amazing, because it isn't even trying to -
as already said, when it strace what it does, I can see it opening
and reading a whole bunch of date files, but it does not issue a
single "write" syscall.
There also should be al necessary packages installed (unless there
is something essential missing in the dependencies):
# dpkg -l fortune*|grep ii
ii fortune-mod 1.99.1-3.1 provides fortune cookies on demand
ii fortunes 1.99.1-3.1 Data files containing fortune cookies
ii fortunes-min 1.99.1-3.1 Data files containing fortune cookies

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Mark Allums

Peter Daum wrote:

Mark Allums wrote:

Peter Daum wrote:
[...]

Ahh, I should read more closely. My bad.

Mark Allums

Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 AM
"s. keeling"

Peter Daum <gator_ml@yahoo.de>:
> # dpkg -l fortune*|grep ii
> ii fortune-mod 1.99.1-3.1 provides fortune cookies on demand
> ii fortunes 1.99.1-3.1 Data files containing fortune cookies
> ii fortunes-min 1.99.1-3.1 Data files containing fortune cookies

(0) phreaque /home/keeling_ pkgs fortune | egrep '^i'
i fortune-mod - provides fortune cookies on demand
i fortunes - Data files containing fortune cookies
i fortunes-min - Data files containing fortune cookies

fwiw, also etch. I can only guess charset clash (ASCII/utf-8), and it
knows not to bother opening anything as it knows it can't translate? Guess.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Peter Daum

s. keeling wrote:

Peter Daum <gator_ml@yahoo.de>:

# dpkg -l fortune*|grep ii
ii fortune-mod 1.99.1-3.1 provides fortune cookies on demand
ii fortunes 1.99.1-3.1 Data files containing fortune cookies
ii fortunes-min 1.99.1-3.1 Data files containing fortune cookies

(0) phreaque /home/keeling_ pkgs fortune | egrep '^i'
i fortune-mod - provides fortune cookies on demand
i fortunes - Data files containing fortune cookies
i fortunes-min - Data files containing fortune cookies

fwiw, also etch. I can only guess charset clash (ASCII/utf-8), and it
knows not to bother opening anything as it knows it can't translate? Guess.

I normally use ISO8859-1, but the locale setting doesn't make a difference.
The installed data files only use ASCII anyway. Actually, I really can't
see much potential for something as simple as "fortune" to go wrong ;-)

I just tried an ages old fortune program that I still had around, which
(after adjusting the path of the data files with a symlink) works fine
with the Debian data files ...