Old 07-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Patrick Ouellette

Default Accent chars instead of VGA graphics from Ubuntu system (terminal via ssh)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 07:15:55AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Having just installed Mythbuntu 8.04.1 onto a recently procured
> computer, I'm doing tasks via ssh. I have several Debian Sid boxes and
> I've not run into this issue until I began using the Mythbuntu box.
>
> What I see are VGA style graphics characters replaced by accented
> alphabet letters. Here is a snapshot of Midnight Commander:

After the SSH terminal opens, did you try replacing the shell or opening
a new xterm with a unicode enabled terminal (xterm -u8 for example)?

--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 07:15:55AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Yeah, the subject is too short. I posted the following on the Ubuntu
> forums with no reply so I thought I'd try our group.
>
> Having just installed Mythbuntu 8.04.1 onto a recently procured
> computer, I'm doing tasks via ssh. I have several Debian Sid boxes and
> I've not run into this issue until I began using the Mythbuntu box.
>
> What I see are VGA style graphics characters replaced by accented
> alphabet letters. Here is a snapshot of Midnight Commander:
>
> http://n0nb.us/pix/snap4.jpg

I see.

> Ordinarily it appears as this on the rest of my machines:
>
> http://n0nb.us/pix/snap5.jpg
>
> While I'm inclined to think it's a terminal issue, I suppose it could
> be something else such as locale? Also, it's not just Midnight
> Commander as I saw the same thing with Aptitude.
>
> For the record I get the same strange characters when logging into the
> Mythbuntu box remotely from a Linux console on my Debian desktop
> machine.

What I see is charater encoding issue. Terminal does not understand
UTF-8 (That is Mythbuntu 8.04 problem) while it looks like you are
runing sid in en_US.UTF-8 or so.

Check encoding of both system.

Try work around problem using
$ mc -a
or
$ LANG=C mc -a
or something like this.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2008 Jul 30 09:15 -0500]:

> What I see is charater encoding issue. Terminal does not understand
> UTF-8 (That is Mythbuntu 8.04 problem) while it looks like you are
> runing sid in en_US.UTF-8 or so.
>
> Check encoding of both system.

My Sid box shows:

$ echo $LANG
en_US

The Mythbuntu box shows:

$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

> Try work around problem using
> $ mc -a

No change.

> or
> $ LANG=C mc -a

That got me closer as the borders are now rendered in ASCII:

http://n0nb.us/pix/snap6.jpg

> or something like this.

Trying to reconfigure the locale gave me this:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p low locales
Generating locales...
en_US.UTF-8... up-to-date
Generation complete.

But since the Ubuntu system probably depends on UTF-8, I'll assume that
it's wise to leave it alone. I can add a Bash alias to run mc the
second way although that isn't much help with other programs. However,
from the terminal in Mythbuntu in XFCE it all works fine. Maybe my Sid
box should be default UTF8. I'm going to try that since the dialog
advises that it should be the default.

Thanks, Osamu.

- Nate >>

Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> [2008 Jul 30 16:34 -0500]:
> Maybe my Sid
> box should be default UTF8. I'm going to try that since the dialog
> advises that it should be the default.

That was, errr, interesting. Since I have locale-purge installed and
it runs after packages are installed via Aptitude, it helpfully cleaned
out the en_US.UTF-8 locale since I hadn't selected it back who know's
when via the locales package. All kinds of weired and interesting
effects occured once I allowed en_US.UTF-8 become the default. :-)

As a work around I've set en_US as my locale in my .bashrc and will
wait until a number of pacakges get updated and the UTF locale gets
restored before trying again. At least I think I'm on the right track.

I guess that some tools fall into the realm of "if you know what you're
doing". ;-)

- Nate >>

Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:05:29PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> [2008 Jul 30 16:34 -0500]:
> > Maybe my Sid
> > box should be default UTF8. I'm going to try that since the dialog
> > advises that it should be the default.
>
> That was, errr, interesting. Since I have locale-purge installed and
> it runs after packages are installed via Aptitude, it helpfully cleaned
> out the en_US.UTF-8 locale since I hadn't selected it back who know's
> when via the locales package. All kinds of weired and interesting
> effects occured once I allowed en_US.UTF-8 become the default. :-)

Somehow this message looks like reply to my posting on mutt while I see
no reason.....

Nate, you know that en_US locale means en_US.ISO-8859-1 locale

Enen if your transition from old ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 was not
smooth and was easier to stay with ISO-8859-1 does not gurantee easy
life for ever.

Basically, world is moving from C -> ISO-8859-1 -> UTF-8. C has place
to live for embedded system etc. But ISO-8859-1 will be deprecated
standard for system default.

> As a work around I've set en_US as my locale in my .bashrc and will
> wait until a number of pacakges get updated and the UTF locale gets
> restored before trying again. At least I think I'm on the right track.

System default of locale is not really set by .bashrc. That is only fro
program executed from BASH shell. Your terminal window program may be
running by the locale set by the PAM.

> I guess that some tools fall into the realm of "if you know what you're
> doing". ;-)

Yes. I should say "All tools fail eventually if you do not know what
you're doing". ;-)".

As for environment, start reading Debian Refrnce (debian-reference-en
paclaje in lenny) or
read it on line:
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale

Osamu

Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2008 Jul 31 06:41 -0500]:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:05:29PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> [2008 Jul 30 16:34 -0500]:
> > > Maybe my Sid
> > > box should be default UTF8. I'm going to try that since the dialog
> > > advises that it should be the default.
> >
> > That was, errr, interesting. Since I have locale-purge installed and
> > it runs after packages are installed via Aptitude, it helpfully cleaned
> > out the en_US.UTF-8 locale since I hadn't selected it back who know's
> > when via the locales package. All kinds of weired and interesting
> > effects occured once I allowed en_US.UTF-8 become the default. :-)
>
> Somehow this message looks like reply to my posting on mutt while I see
> no reason.....

It was a reply to my post which was a reply to yours. :-)

> Nate, you know that en_US locale means en_US.ISO-8859-1 locale

I figured that out last night. I had that set because some years back
there was breakage in Perl due to the default locale being C as I
recall.

> Enen if your transition from old ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 was not
> smooth and was easier to stay with ISO-8859-1 does not gurantee easy
> life for ever.
>
> Basically, world is moving from C -> ISO-8859-1 -> UTF-8. C has place
> to live for embedded system etc. But ISO-8859-1 will be deprecated
> standard for system default.

I understand. My selection of en_US is from long ago. I've just
realized the effect now. The installation on this box can be traced
back to early 2003 and it has been upgraded continuosly since then.
Some settings haven't been changed since!

Actually, parts of /etc came from a couple of previous installations,
so some things may be traced back to 1999 or so.

> > As a work around I've set en_US as my locale in my .bashrc and will
> > wait until a number of pacakges get updated and the UTF locale gets
> > restored before trying again. At least I think I'm on the right track.
>
> System default of locale is not really set by .bashrc. That is only fro
> program executed from BASH shell. Your terminal window program may be
> running by the locale set by the PAM.

I see. But, each of my shells in Konsole runs .bashrc as I start them
as login shells and in that file I have a line `export LANG=en_US' and
when I commented that out after setting en_US.UTF-8 to be the default
locale and restarting the system is when the fun began. Mutt's
graphical threading characters were replaced by accented ones and FTE's
screen was completely destroyed. So, I presume that erroneously having
localepurge delete the en_US.UTF-8 locale for all this time was the
cause. So, I reinstated the export line in my .bashrc and I'll try
again a while from now after various packages have had time to update
and (hopefully) the en_US.UTF-8 locale is present.

> Yes. I should say "All tools fail eventually if you do not know what
> you're doing". ;-)".

How else does one learn without a self imposed challenge? :-)

> As for environment, start reading Debian Refrnce (debian-reference-en
> paclaje in lenny) or
> read it on line:
> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale

Thanks, I'll check that out.