Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 AM
janskey

Default Network Bandwidth Monitoring

Hi All,

Is there a tool that can monitor bandwidth consumed on a specific user? For example, in my flat network where:

internet->cisco router->firewall->linux/windows clients & servers

I want to monitor a client or want to know who's downloading stuff to
the internet or internal network. I want also to monitor or specify a
specific bandwidth that he can use so that our internet will not slow.
Does Squid helps? Any advice? Thanks.*cheers,

janskey

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM
"M. Piscaer"

janskey schreef:

Hi All,

Is there a tool that can monitor bandwidth consumed on a specific user?
For example, in my flat network where:

internet->cisco router->firewall->linux/windows clients & servers

I want to monitor a client or want to know who's downloading stuff to
the internet or internal network. I want also to monitor or specify a
specific bandwidth that he can use so that our internet will not slow.
Does Squid helps? Any advice? Thanks.

cheers,

janskey

Hi Janskey,

What for an firewall do you use, an linux system with iptables on it?

If that is the case you can use that to monitor your users.

Regards,

M. Piscaer

--
michiel@digidiensten.nl
Tel: +31 77 7501700

Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Lish

If you use squid, there are some tools which can analyze squid's logs
to supply the download report. Of course some protocols cannt be
squided and you cannt get their reports.