Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Printing from GIMP (SOLVED)

Thomas Preud'homme wrote:

The Tuesday 29 July 2008 10:35:17 Marc Shapiro, you wrote :

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 01:43:11PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

I recently purchased a new printer and drivers were not available for it
in Etch, which I am running. Gutenprint 5.0.2 has the necessary drivers
and I compiled it from source and the printer works great. My problem
is that there are no 'Print' options on the GIMP menus. I am running
the version of GIMP from the Debian Etch repository. How do I get
Debian's GIMP to recognize the compiled from source gutenprint 5.0.2 and
allow me to print directly from GIMP.

where does that compile install the gutenprint binaries? It's possibly
in a different location than gimp expects thus it's not found. It may
be as simple as linking to the location gimp expects? That's just a
random guess.

If you mean all of the libs, they are in /usr/local/lib/. I tried
making a link to each of them from /usr/lib, but that didn't help. Does
anyone know where the Debian version of gimp 2.2 puts its various files?

See the attached files (plain text UTF-8 with Unix end lines) for dpkg -L of
gimp and gimp-gutenprint on Debian sid

Thank you!

I had not realized that the gimp-print package was ONLY the plugin and
not the entire gutenprint package. The description was not at all clear
on that and I did not want to overwrite my 5.0.2 version with 5.0.0. As
it was, all that I needed to do was DL the gimp-print package and unpack
it. (Installing it would require dependancies which I don't think I
want to install with the newer gutenprint already on the box.) That was
enough, however. I now have my print option on the file menu. Just
what I needed!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com