Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Armin ranjbar

Default Ext3 Overwritted by Ext3

Dear all ,

there is an Ext3 partition which have been mkfs.ext3 by mistake , there
are very few inodes available in file system now but tools like lde shows
that majority of data is still available on disk , the problem is that how
its possible to take back disconnected ext3 blocks in filesystem as file ?
how can i put them in lost and found ? do you know any solution ?

--
Armin ranjbar , System Administrator

Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Armin ranjbar wrote:

Dear all ,

there is an Ext3 partition which have been mkfs.ext3 by mistake , there
are very few inodes available in file system now but tools like lde shows
that majority of data is still available on disk , the problem is that how
its possible to take back disconnected ext3 blocks in filesystem as file ?
how can i put them in lost and found ? do you know any solution ?

If you have run mkfs.ext3 while the partition was mounted, then an fsck
might put stuff in lost+found. It happened to me once when I mistyped
the disk name (hda5 instead of hdb5). That was several years ago so I
don't remember whether it was ext3 or ext2.

-- Albert Einstein

Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

Armin ranjbar wrote:

Dear all ,

there is an Ext3 partition which have been mkfs.ext3 by mistake , there
are very few inodes available in file system now but tools like lde shows
that majority of data is still available on disk , the problem is that
how
its possible to take back disconnected ext3 blocks in filesystem as
file ?

how can i put them in lost and found ? do you know any solution ?

If you have run mkfs.ext3 while the partition was mounted, then an fsck
might put stuff in lost+found. It happened to me once when I mistyped
the disk name (hda5 instead of hdb5). That was several years ago so I
don't remember whether it was ext3 or ext2.

Just wanted to add that you might want to use dd to make a complete copy
of your disk and work on a copy (or a copy of the copy if you are
sufficiently paranoid about your data)

-- Albert Einstein