Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Mark Neidorff

Default New Graphics Adaptor (a bit off topic?)

Hi all,

First time that something easy like this is tripping me up.....

I'm building a new system using Etch as the OS. I installed Etch on my SATA
drive (no problem) using the on board video that came with my ASUS M2MPV-VM
motherboard. The on-board video is GeForce 6150. System is running well.

Now, I want to upgrade the video, so I plugged a GeForce 8600 GT video adaptor
(PCIe 16) into my motherboard (ASUS M2MPV VM), went into the bios (phoenix)
and changed the primary display adaptor to PCIe. When the system boots,
there is no output on the video of the PCIe card--all output still goes to
the on-board video. I thought that one change would send output to the PCIe
card. Can anyone tell me what additional steps I need to take to get video
to output to the PCIe adaptor?

Many thanks,

Mark

Old 07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:18:55PM -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what additional steps I need to take to get video
> to output to the PCIe adaptor?

Is there a setting to explicitly disable the on-board video as opposed to
just telling it the external is primary?

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 01:21 pm, Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:18:55PM -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what additional steps I need to take to get video
> > to output to the PCIe adaptor?
>
> Is there a setting to explicitly disable the on-board video as opposed
> to just telling it the external is primary?

No. (That would have been too easy.) I wish there was one.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:33:20PM -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> No. (That would have been too easy.) I wish there was one.

True, but sometimes it is the super easy that is also super easy to
overlook. Best to ask just to make sure than to go for the harder solutions
and miss it thrice over.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 01:36 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/29/08 12:18, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First time that something easy like this is tripping me up.....
> >
> > I'm building a new system using Etch as the OS. I installed Etch on my
> > SATA drive (no problem) using the on board video that came with my ASUS
> > M2MPV-VM motherboard. The on-board video is GeForce 6150. System is
> > running well.
> >
> > Now, I want to upgrade the video, so I plugged a GeForce 8600 GT video
> > adaptor (PCIe 16) into my motherboard (ASUS M2MPV VM), went into the bios
> > (phoenix) and changed the primary display adaptor to PCIe. When the
> > system boots, there is no output on the video of the PCIe card--all
> > output still goes to the on-board video. I thought that one change would
> > send output to the PCIe card. Can anyone tell me what additional steps I
> > need to take to get video to output to the PCIe adaptor?
>
> Stupid question: did you remember to save the new BIOS setting?

Yes. And I confirmed that the settings are saved. (Its not a stupid question.
There aren't any stupid questions!!!)

Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Brad Rogers

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:47:52 -0400
Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:

Hello Mark,

> There aren't any stupid questions!!!)

There are; The ones you *don't* ask. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

White people going to school, where they teach you to be thick
White Riot - The Clash

Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:47:52PM -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Yes. And I confirmed that the settings are saved. (Its not a stupid
> question. There aren't any stupid questions!!!)

If a chicken-and-a-half lays an egg-and-a-half in a day-and-a-half how
long does it take a man with one wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill
pickle?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Allan Wind

On 2008-07-29T14:03:43, Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:47:52PM -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Yes. And I confirmed that the settings are saved. (Its not a stupid
> > question. There aren't any stupid questions!!!)
>
> If a chicken-and-a-half lays an egg-and-a-half in a day-and-a-half how
> long does it take a man with one wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill
> pickle?

42 days.

/Allan
--