Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
andy

Default Problems in Network printing of pdf

Hi all

My wife's machine (Etch) is a client to the print server (on my Lenny
machine). Using CUPS, the correct address for the printer from her
machine is: ipp://valhalla.org:631/printers/EPSON

However, when I go to print a pdf document using acroread (the latest
version for Etch), the settings default to: lpr -P EPSON@valhalla -o
Resolution=360x361dpi -o PageSize=A4

Clearly, this is incorrect, but there seems to be no facility in which
to change this address. Consequently, no pdf can print from her Etch
machine. All other file types print just fine, and I can print pdf from
my machine just fine too.

The error then is in the address that acroread has defaulted to reach
the printer, which I am unable to change. The printer is set as the
system default.

Any ideas on this?

Andy

Old 07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

On 2008-07-29 16:16, andy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My wife's machine (Etch) is a client to the print server (on my Lenny
> machine). Using CUPS, the correct address for the printer from her
> machine is: ipp://valhalla.org:631/printers/EPSON
>
> However, when I go to print a pdf document using acroread (the latest
> version for Etch), the settings default to: lpr -P EPSON@valhalla -o
> Resolution=360x361dpi -o PageSize=A4
>
> Clearly, this is incorrect, but there seems to be no facility in
> which to change this address. Consequently, no pdf can print from her
> Etch machine. All other file types print just fine, and I can print
> pdf from my machine just fine too.

I use 'custom printer'. Within the box that opens I enter 'kprinter'
which will open my 'normal' print dialog for printing. You could
probably enter any command that would print your document from the
command line.

> The error then is in the address that acroread has defaulted to reach
> the printer, which I am unable to change. The printer is set as the
> system default.
>
> Any ideas on this?

I'd also recommend to use one of the free pdf readers, like kpdf, xpdf
or evince. They are less bloated, ie. faster and more printer friendly
as they also avoid some of the restrictions certain pdfs impose on acroread.

I only use acroread for the very few pdfs that use a pertinacious kind
of DRM, that only works with acroread.

YMMV, just MHO,

Johannes

Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
andy

[...]

Many thanks Johannes - the kprinter option in custom printer does the
job just fine.

Cheers for that

Andy