Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Ron Johnson

Default procinfo maintainership

Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 PM
tabris

tabris wrote:

it appears that neocalderon.net is now a squatter domain.

Meanwhile, I'm unsure who to contact regarding a replacement for
procinfo that I started last year, procinfo-ng.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/procinfo-ng/

Basically the goals included a) fixing all the 32bit/64bit problems b)
fixing or replacing broken features c) eliminating the more useless
features.

So who do I need to contact to find a debian package maintainer for a)
procinfo-18 b) procinfo-ng ?

Per a suggestion on debian-user, I'm sending this question to debian-devel.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Bernd Zeimetz

>> So who do I need to contact to find a debian package maintainer for a)
>> procinfo-18 b) procinfo-ng ?

did you try to contact the maintainer of procinfo? If they're not
interested, look at http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79

Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
tabris

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

So who do I need to contact to find a debian package maintainer for a)
procinfo-18 b) procinfo-ng ?

did you try to contact the maintainer of procinfo? If they're not
interested, look at http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Yes, I tried to contact the maintainer. the maintainer's email address
is neo@neocalderon.net and that domain is now owned by a squatter.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

tabris wrote:

>> did you try to contact the maintainer of procinfo? If they're not
>> interested, look at http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>>
> Yes, I tried to contact the maintainer. the maintainer's email address
> is neo@neocalderon.net and that domain is now owned by a squatter.

Thanks for the info. As I wasn't able to find any other email adress or
activity from the maintainer, I've orphaned the package and it will be
listed within the orphaned packages on http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
soon. So you could either adopt it and take care of it on your own...

GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79

Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM
tabris

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Thanks for the info. As I wasn't able to find any other email adress or
> activity from the maintainer, I've orphaned the package and it will be
> listed within the orphaned packages on http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
> soon. So you could either adopt it and take care of it on your own...

If I were to do so (or find a maintainer) would they have the option
of obsoleting procinfo-18 and replacing it with procinfo-ng ? The old
procinfo code is a) grotty b) very very 1990's C c) broken on 64bit
platforms d) many features are broken e) other features are pointless on
2.6 kernels (cat /proc/filesystems, done as a every 2 seconds poll? wtf?)
Procinfo-NG is a) hopefully more readable b) At least early-2000's C++
c) Working on 64bit x86 and 32bit x86 (don't have any PPC or SPARC Linux
boxen to test on yet) d) fixed some broken features e) added new ones f)
never implemented the more odd features like polling /proc/filesystems
and /proc/modules

If there are any questions over the maintainership of the
procinfo-ng upstream codebase, I'll open it to other interested developers.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

tabris wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> Thanks for the info. As I wasn't able to find any other email adress or
>> activity from the maintainer, I've orphaned the package and it will be
>> listed within the orphaned packages on http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>> soon. So you could either adopt it and take care of it on your own...
>>
> If I were to do so (or find a maintainer) would they have the option
> of obsoleting procinfo-18 and replacing it with procinfo-ng ?

yes, although I doubt it would be able to go in Lenny as it is frozen now.

GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79