Old 07-27-2008, 06:33 PM
ss11223

Default How do I recover LVM at boot

I should add that both md0 and md1 appear and md0 can be mounted from
the
limited shell I get dropped into.

If I boot from a system recovery CD I can do
vchange -a y VG

and then mount the volumes in that system.

But I am clueless as to how to get the Debian system to boot.

Stuart

Old 07-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Alex Samad

try putting back your old mdadm.conf

this is how mine looks

=============================
# mdadm.conf
#
# Please refer to mdadm.conf(5) for information about this file.
#

# by default, scan all partitions (/proc/partitions) for MD superblocks.
# alternatively, specify devices to scan, using wildcards if desired.
DEVICE partitions

# auto-create devices with Debian standard permissions
CREATE owner=root group=disk mode=0660 auto=yes

# automatically tag new arrays as belonging to the local system
HOMEHOST <system>

# instruct the monitoring daemon where to send mail alerts
MAILADDR root
==========================

the array definition are not really needed, if your partition types are
set to FD

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:33:15AM -0700, ss11223 wrote:
> I should add that both md0 and md1 appear and md0 can be mounted from
> the
> limited shell I get dropped into.
>
> If I boot from a system recovery CD I can do
> vchange -a y VG
>
> and then mount the volumes in that system.
>
> But I am clueless as to how to get the Debian system to boot.
>
> Stuart

"Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America."

- George W. Bush
02/03/2003
Bethesda, MD

Old 07-27-2008, 11:09 PM
ss11223

On Jul 27, 5:40*pm, Alex Samad <a...@samad.com.au> wrote:
> try putting back your old mdadm.conf
>
> this is how mine looks
>
> =============================
> # mdadm.conf
> #
> # Please refer to mdadm.conf(5) for information about this file.
> #
>
> # by default, scan all partitions (/proc/partitions) for MD superblocks.
> # alternatively, specify devices to scan, using wildcards if desired.
> DEVICE partitions
>
> # auto-create devices with Debian standard permissions
> CREATE owner=root group=disk mode=0660 auto=yes
>
> # automatically tag new arrays as belonging to the local system
> HOMEHOST <system>
>
> # instruct the monitoring daemon where to send mail alerts
> MAILADDR root
> ==========================
>
> the array definition are not really needed, if *your partition types are
> set to FD
>

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:33:15AM -0700, ss11223 wrote:
> > I should add that both md0 and md1 appear and md0 can be mounted from
> > the
> > limited shell I get dropped into.
>
> > If I boot from a system recovery CD I can do
> > vchange -a y VG
>
> > and then mount the volumes in that system.
>
> > But I am clueless as to how to get the Debian system to boot.
>
> > Stuart
>
> > --

> "Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America."
>
> * * * * - George W. Bush
> 02/03/2003
> Bethesda, MD
>
> *signature.asc
> 1KDownload

I tried that but same result. I wasn't surprised as the md volumes
exsit, its the lvm volume name thats wrong. (server vs VG)

Stuart

Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 AM
ss11223

On Jul 27, 7:20*pm, ss11223 <ss11...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 5:40*pm, Alex Samad <a...@samad.com.au> wrote:
>

> > try putting back your old mdadm.conf
>
> > this is how mine looks
>
> > =============================
> > # mdadm.conf
> > #
> > # Please refer to mdadm.conf(5) for information about this file.
> > #
>
> > # by default, scan all partitions (/proc/partitions) for MD superblocks.
> > # alternatively, specify devices to scan, using wildcards if desired.
> > DEVICE partitions
>
> > # auto-create devices with Debian standard permissions
> > CREATE owner=root group=disk mode=0660 auto=yes
>
> > # automatically tag new arrays as belonging to the local system
> > HOMEHOST <system>
>
> > # instruct the monitoring daemon where to send mail alerts
> > MAILADDR root
> > ==========================
>
> > the array definition are not really needed, if *your partition types are
> > set to FD
>
> > On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:33:15AM -0700, ss11223 wrote:
> > > I should add that both md0 and md1 appear and md0 can be mounted from
> > > the
> > > limited shell I get dropped into.
>
> > > If I boot from a system recovery CD I can do
> > > vchange -a y VG
>
> > > and then mount the volumes in that system.
>
> > > But I am clueless as to how to get the Debian system to boot.
>
> > > Stuart
>
> > > --
>
> > --
> > "Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America."
>
> > * * * * - George W. Bush
> > 02/03/2003
> > Bethesda, MD
>
> > *signature.asc
> > 1KDownload
>
> I tried that but same result. I wasn't surprised as the md volumes
> exsit, its the lvm volume name thats wrong. (server vs VG)
>
> Stuart

Two more insights.

In the shell I get dumped into on boot, I can enter the command "/sbin/
vgchange -a y' and
it finds my logical volumes.

If I then exit it tells me it connot find server-server1

Then I had a memory revalation !!!!
In a previous life, I had a logical volume on this machine with the
volume group "server" and
logical volumes "server1" through "server7". So where is this old info
lurking on the disk so I
can change it.

Stuart