FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
l> but something changed, even though pine hasn't been updated in
l> forever. i can't find a setting i even accidentally hit, but now it
l> just says "[VIEWER command launched]", & doesn't launch anything. i
l> stay in pine, unable to view the html. any ideas? i used this feature
l> of pine pretty often. TIA.

ok, guys, i found it. thanks for the help.

i was trying a bunch of stuff in my ~/.mailcap, but didn't realize
there's a global /etc/mailcap. in that, i found this line:

text/html; /usr/bin/sensible-browser '%s'; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html

i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.

lish
crank@got.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 06:13:36PM +0000, "i'll teach you to turn away." <crank@got.net> was heard to say:
> i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
> stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
> happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.

Probably related to this:

debianutils (2.30) unstable; urgency=low

* Raise sensible-browser's mime priority to 6. closes: #466517.

-- Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:47:54 -0400

I bet that setting your BROWSER environment variable would have worked
as well, although I'm still a little perplexed as to why changing the
www-browser alternative did nothing.

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 06:13:36PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> l> but something changed, even though pine hasn't been updated in
> l> forever. i can't find a setting i even accidentally hit, but now it
> l> just says "[VIEWER command launched]", & doesn't launch anything. i
> l> stay in pine, unable to view the html. any ideas? i used this feature
> l> of pine pretty often. TIA.
>
> ok, guys, i found it. thanks for the help.
>
> i was trying a bunch of stuff in my ~/.mailcap, but didn't realize
> there's a global /etc/mailcap. in that, i found this line:
>
> text/html; /usr/bin/sensible-browser '%s'; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html
>
> i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
> stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
> happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.

This solution is only temporary work around. If update-mime program is
run by installer, it may be overwritten. If you want to use partilcular
program to handle HTML mime type, then you should read mailcap.order man
page and set that file and run update-mime. This is better work around
system wide. I think you can set HTML MIME handler in ~/.mailcap too.

The real root cause fix is to get sensible-browser working.

It is simple shell script. You can see it
$ view $(which sensible-browser)

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
OA> Hi,
>> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>> i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
>> stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
>> happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.
OA> This solution is only temporary work around. If update-mime program is
OA> run by installer, it may be overwritten. If you want to use partilcular
OA> program to handle HTML mime type, then you should read mailcap.order man
OA> page and set that file and run update-mime. This is better work around
OA> system wide. I think you can set HTML MIME handler in ~/.mailcap too.

you're right, i fixed it the lazy (& potentially temporary)
way. the weird thing is, though, that my local .mailcap didn't override
it. & i tried changing sensible-browser, which also didn't do anything.
so i'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make a permanent fix here...

OA> The real root cause fix is to get sensible-browser working.
OA> It is simple shell script. You can see it
OA> $ view $(which sensible-browser)

$ view $(which sensible-browser)
Warning: unknown mime-type for "/usr/bin/sensible-browser" -- using
"application/octet-stream"
svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.5 KHz).
$

simple & broken?

lish
crank@got.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
DB> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 06:13:36PM +0000, "i'll teach you to turn away." <crank@got.net> was heard to say:
>> i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
>> stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
>> happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.
DB> Probably related to this:
DB> debianutils (2.30) unstable; urgency=low
DB> * Raise sensible-browser's mime priority to 6. closes: #466517.
DB> I bet that setting your BROWSER environment variable would have worked
DB> as well, although I'm still a little perplexed as to why changing the
DB> www-browser alternative did nothing.

oh werd, thanks. so i'm slighly less crazy now.

of course, now i have a different problem with lynx, but i'll
start a new thread for that.

lish
crank@got.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/28/08 14:26, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> OA> Hi,
>>> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>>> i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
>>> stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
>>> happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.
> OA> This solution is only temporary work around. If update-mime program is
> OA> run by installer, it may be overwritten. If you want to use partilcular
> OA> program to handle HTML mime type, then you should read mailcap.order man
> OA> page and set that file and run update-mime. This is better work around
> OA> system wide. I think you can set HTML MIME handler in ~/.mailcap too.
>
> you're right, i fixed it the lazy (& potentially temporary)
> way. the weird thing is, though, that my local .mailcap didn't override
> it. & i tried changing sensible-browser, which also didn't do anything.
> so i'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make a permanent fix here...
>
> OA> The real root cause fix is to get sensible-browser working.
> OA> It is simple shell script. You can see it
> OA> $ view $(which sensible-browser)
>
> $ view $(which sensible-browser)
> Warning: unknown mime-type for "/usr/bin/sensible-browser" -- using
> "application/octet-stream"
> svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.5 KHz).
> $
>
> simple & broken?

Works for me...

$ echo $(which sensible-browser)
/usr/bin/sensible-browser

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkiOKQ8ACgkQS9HxQb37Xme6iQCgnkh2+lA8RR a167zayk2WIs8a
dMgAoKHHRXPOLg+E4xm5l8x0XRb7SeTS
=Mgee
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>>> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>> OA> The real root cause fix is to get sensible-browser working.
>> OA> It is simple shell script. You can see it
>> OA> $ view $(which sensible-browser)
>> $ view $(which sensible-browser)
>> Warning: unknown mime-type for "/usr/bin/sensible-browser" -- using
>> "application/octet-stream"
>> svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.5 KHz).
>> simple & broken?
RJ> Works for me...
RJ> $ echo $(which sensible-browser)
RJ> /usr/bin/sensible-browser

echo'ing it seems to run & then dump out of lynx...

lish
crank@got.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:26:18PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> OA> Hi,
> >> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> >> i tried changing it, but that didn't work, so i just commented the
> >> stupid thing out & boom, we're back to normal. i have no clue what
> >> happened, but it's nice to be able to use lynx again from pine.
> OA> This solution is only temporary work around. If update-mime program is
> OA> run by installer, it may be overwritten. If you want to use partilcular
> OA> program to handle HTML mime type, then you should read mailcap.order man
> OA> page and set that file and run update-mime. This is better work around
> OA> system wide. I think you can set HTML MIME handler in ~/.mailcap too.
>
> you're right, i fixed it the lazy (& potentially temporary)
> way. the weird thing is, though, that my local .mailcap didn't override
> it. & i tried changing sensible-browser, which also didn't do anything.
> so i'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make a permanent fix here...

How did you overide with your local .mailcap?

What program was (or which mailcap entry was) used when it was working?

Did you put that working mail cap entry into .mailcap?

Osamu who never bothered to use .mailcap.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 AM
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>> >> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>> way. the weird thing is, though, that my local .mailcap didn't override
>> it. & i tried changing sensible-browser, which also didn't do anything.
>> so i'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make a permanent fix here...
OA> How did you overide with your local .mailcap?

by adding this to ~/.mailcap:

text/html; /usr/bin/lynx %s

which follows the format of everything else in there. but, uh, it
didn't override. & /etc/mailcap has SEVERAL text/html entries. soo...?

OA> What program was (or which mailcap entry was) used when it was working?

lynx, originally. it's back to lynx when i comment the
/etc/mailcap line in question.

OA> Did you put that working mail cap entry into .mailcap?

i don't understand this question. i didn't change anything in
/etc/mailcap except commenting the sensible-browser line.

lish
crank@got.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default SOLVED was pine help

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:47:41AM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> >> >> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> >> way. the weird thing is, though, that my local .mailcap didn't override
> >> it. & i tried changing sensible-browser, which also didn't do anything.
> >> so i'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make a permanent fix here...
> OA> How did you overide with your local .mailcap?
>
> by adding this to ~/.mailcap:
>
> text/html; /usr/bin/lynx %s
>
> which follows the format of everything else in there. but, uh, it
> didn't override. & /etc/mailcap has SEVERAL text/html entries. soo...?
>
> OA> What program was (or which mailcap entry was) used when it was working?
>
> lynx, originally. it's back to lynx when i comment the
> /etc/mailcap line in question.
>
> OA> Did you put that working mail cap entry into .mailcap?
>
> i don't understand this question. i didn't change anything in
> /etc/mailcap except commenting the sensible-browser line.

next line which match text/html.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org