Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
ss11223

Default How do I recover LVM at boot

I have a Debian Stable system which I just did the apt-get upgrade for
the new linux kernel version.

The system has two software raid volumes md0 and md1. md0 is /boot.
md1 is a lvm2 volume group
"VG" with four partitions "lvol0" throuth "lvol3" containing "/", "/
home", "/var" and "/chroot"

During the upgrade I got the message that I needed to check mdadm.conf
and should see
/usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.upgrading-2.5.3

It was still the initial file so I added a DEVICE line with the four
devices that make up the two MD arrays, and using
the example form "man mdadm" used:
mdadm --detail --scan >> mdadm.conf
to add the details for my raid.

I then renamed /var/lib/mdadm/CONF-UNCHECKED to CONF-UNCHECKED.old

and did

update-initramfs -u -k all

as directed by the README.

Now the system doesn't boot but tells me the volume group "server" is
not found.

How do I fix the system to boot properly.

Thanks