Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
"H.S."

Default resolv.conf, opendns and ppp nameservers

Hello,

Currently my router machine gets nameservers from my ISP and these
nameservers appear in my /etc/resolv.conf after the ppp0 connection is made.

Hearing about the recent DNS vulnerability, I am thinking of using
OpenDNS for now. It appears that one way is to enter the OpenDNS
nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and comment out the "usepeerdns" line in
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider.

I also think that resolv.conf is made in some automagical way by the pon
command when the ppp0 connection is established and that editing it by
hand is not recommended.

So, is there a way that when I do not use the 'usepeerdns' option I
always get OpenDNS nameservers and if I do use that option, I get the
nameservers from my ISP instead?

Perhaps there is a conf file somewhere in which I can insert the OpenDNS
nameservers as being default nameservers to be used in case usepeerdns
is not used?

->HS

Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently my router machine gets nameservers from my ISP and these
> nameservers appear in my /etc/resolv.conf after the ppp0 connection is
> made.
>
> Hearing about the recent DNS vulnerability, I am thinking of using
> OpenDNS for now. It appears that one way is to enter the OpenDNS
> nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and comment out the "usepeerdns" line
> in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider.
>
> I also think that resolv.conf is made in some automagical way by the
> pon command when the ppp0 connection is established and that editing
> it by hand is not recommended.
>
> So, is there a way that when I do not use the 'usepeerdns' option I
> always get OpenDNS nameservers and if I do use that option, I get the
> nameservers from my ISP instead?
>
> Perhaps there is a conf file somewhere in which I can insert the
> OpenDNS nameservers as being default nameservers to be used in case
> usepeerdns is not used?

In the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf there is the "prepend
domain-name-servers <server1>;<server2>;" line which should do the trick
(but I have not tried). Or you can try "supersede" instead of "prepend"
to get only the OpenDNS servers.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb