Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Jonathan Jacobs

Default Question on flash player

I still consider myself a newbe.* I have looked in Synaptic package manager and I have orange liborange0 when I do a search for flash player.* I see swf-player, but that says that is a plugin for mozilla and I am using Epiphany as my web-browser.* I have downloaded flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.i386.rpm but how do I install that....what program?

http://www.cbsnews.com/ and in the upper right hand corner you see VIDEOS (click on that tab) and then click on a video.* I get, you need flash player 9 installed or later

And on another install question, I have downloaded adobeair_linux_a1_033108.bin because there are some add ons for this that I want to use.* How do I install a bin file?

TIA

PS.* I installed deb on my mothers pc and other then the fact that she likes to double click on everything (I find multiple copies on her desktop), she loves it.* She says that she is still getting used to where everything is located at.

--

Jonathan Jacobs <stingray761@fuse.net>

Old 07-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Marko Randjelovic

Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
> I still consider myself a newbe. I have looked in Synaptic package
> manager and I have orange liborange0 when I do a search for flash
> player. I see swf-player, but that says that is a plugin for mozilla
> and I am using Epiphany as my web-browser. I have downloaded
> flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.i386.rpm but how do I install
> that....what program?
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/ and in the upper right hand corner you see
> VIDEOS (click on that tab) and then click on a video. I get, you need
> flash player 9 installed or later

Download tgz from Adobe's site and extract it with

tar zxf flash.tgz

Then copy libflashplayer.so to your browser plugin directory. I don't know for
Epiphany, for Iceweasel is /usr/lib/iceweasel.

> And on another install question, I have downloaded
> adobeair_linux_a1_033108.bin because there are some add ons for this
> that I want to use. How do I install a bin file?

Make it executable and run it

chmod +x adobeair_linux_a1_033108.bin

Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:01:19 -0400
Jonathan Jacobs <stingray761@fuse.net> wrote:

Hello Jonathan,

> I still consider myself a newbe. I have looked in Synaptic package
> manager and I have orange liborange0 when I do a search for flash
> player. I see swf-player, but that says that is a plugin for mozilla
> and I am using Epiphany as my web-browser. I have downloaded
> flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.i386.rpm but how do I install
> that....what program?

Don't, is the easy answer. Debian is not an RPM based distro, and even
though it is possible to install what you've got, you can end up in a
big mess chasing dependencies, and checking things aren't going to be
overwritten and broken by Debian packages. Or vice-versa, of course.
In any event, Epiphany runs the same Mozilla plugins and extensions
that Firefox does. Don't believe me? Read the last paragraph on this
page; http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/

If you're not a FLOSS purist, you might want to add the
debian-multimedia archives at http://debian-multimedia.org/ to your
apt.sources list (do it through Synaptic, if that's what you're used
to), and you'll have access to the Adobe Flash player, Acroread and
more, if you wish. It's not part of the official Debian sources,
because of the not-entirely free nature of the licenses of things
there. Many of us here have it added in.

> And on another install question, I have downloaded
> adobeair_linux_a1_033108.bin because there are some add ons for this
> that I want to use. How do I install a bin file?

Simply by running it from a command line. Prepend with ./ if running
from current directory.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

I don't believe you have to be an idiot to get somewhere these days
Bombsite Boy - The Adverts

Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 10:01 -0400, Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
> I still consider myself a newbe. I have looked in Synaptic package
> manager and I have orange liborange0 when I do a search for flash
> player. I see swf-player, but that says that is a plugin for mozilla
> and I am using Epiphany as my web-browser. I have downloaded
> flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.i386.rpm but how do I install
> that....what program?

Debian doesn't use RPMs. You can use alien to convert it to a deb,
poorly, but that's not recommended. You want the flashplayer-nonfree
package if you want the Adobe flashplayer. Mozilla and Epiphany use the
same plugins.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca