Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 PM
"Lóránd Erik"

Default pc doesn't start

...and the pc is in a wooden box but the connector is grounded, could that be the problem?

2008/7/27 Lóránd Erik <lammmer80@gmail.com>

Hi

It's isn't a very debian-specific question, but the os on the pc is debian:P

I just want to ask, that what could be the problem, when after shutdown, it doesn't start? The fans doesn't start, no nothing, i have maybe some clues: i installed before lm-sensors, and it wrote "ALARM" for some voltage values [about ~6 alarm captionsxD from the ~10] so... i don't have a backup psu, but i think that could be the problem.

what else could it be?

ps.: i could bring the pc to life, when i take out the bios battery for a few minutes:O so i'm not 100% sure that the psu is bad:S

Thank you

Old 07-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Claudius Hubig

"Lóránd Erik" <lammmer80@gmail.com> wrote:
>...and the pc is in a wooden box but the connector is grounded, could that
>be the problem?

I have a similiar problem with my desktop PC: After running for a
while and then being shut down, it wont turn on again. Waiting a few
minutes (quite a few in fact, maybe an hour) and the problem is
solved again. Does this apply to your computer as well or do you
definitely have to take out the battery?
If so, why not remove it completely? Settings are lost anyway, and
you could spend the few minutes on getting a coffee or something.

Greetings,

Claudius
--
Dungeons and Dragons is just a lot of Saxon Violence.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM
steve

Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Claudius Hubig <nfs_2008@chubig.net> wrote:
> "Lóránd Erik" <lammmer80@gmail.com> wrote:
>>...and the pc is in a wooden box but the connector is grounded, could that
>>be the problem?
>
> I have a similiar problem with my desktop PC: After running for a
> while and then being shut down, it wont turn on again. Waiting a few
> minutes (quite a few in fact, maybe an hour) and the problem is
> solved again.

Both of you could try unplugging it for ten seconds. I have seen a
couple of units that behave that way. It seems to be the
motherboard/BIOS as replacing the PSU on one of units I have that
behaves that way didn't change anything.

Brian

Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Wackojacko

Brian McKee wrote:

...and the pc is in a wooden box but the connector is grounded, could that
be the problem?

I have a similiar problem with my desktop PC: After running for a
while and then being shut down, it wont turn on again. Waiting a few
minutes (quite a few in fact, maybe an hour) and the problem is
solved again.

Both of you could try unplugging it for ten seconds. I have seen a
couple of units that behave that way. It seems to be the
motherboard/BIOS as replacing the PSU on one of units I have that
behaves that way didn't change anything.

Brian

Also try replacing the BIOS battery back up. I seem to remember reading
on this list about similar problems being solved that way. I think
Andrew S-W may have been involved in the thread, maybe even the OP, but
I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong

HTH

Wackojacko

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:03:45PM +0100, Wackojacko wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>>> I have a similiar problem with my desktop PC: After running for a
>>> while and then being shut down, it wont turn on again. Waiting a few
>>> minutes (quite a few in fact, maybe an hour) and the problem is
>>> solved again.
>>
>> Both of you could try unplugging it for ten seconds. I have seen a
>> couple of units that behave that way. It seems to be the
>> motherboard/BIOS as replacing the PSU on one of units I have that
>> behaves that way didn't change anything.

> Also try replacing the BIOS battery back up. I seem to remember reading
> on this list about similar problems being solved that way. I think
> Andrew S-W may have been involved in the thread, maybe even the OP, but
> I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong

Not sure what you're referring too by BIOS battery back up...

PSU's have a pretty high failure rate, at least on a par with if not
worse than HD's. If you had a warning about voltage, and now the thing
doesn't work correctly, the first thing I'd suggest is testing or
replacing the PSU. Note though that a failing PSU could take other
stuff with it, so don't be surprised if it ends up being multiple
parts.

OP's PSU (or some other part) could merely be overheating in some odd
way that keeps it from powering back up until it's had time to cool
back down.

I've found that investing in a battery backup helps with the life span
of PSU's. In fact the only ones I've had fail in a couple of years now
are the ones that aren't on battery backup. The battery backup
generally provide some power conditioning which helps minimize the
stress on the PSU.

hth

Old 07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Wackojacko

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[...]

I was refering to the coin cell that some motherboards have for keeping
bios settings between reboots.

The OP mentioned that removing the BIOS battery for a few minutes helps
the PC start so maybe it just gives the battery enough time to recover
enough charge for the reboot. Just a guess.

I was sure that you had had a problem like this with an older PC which
was solved by replacing the coin cell. Maybe my memory is just not what
it used to be!!

HTH

Wackojacko

Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 AM