Old 07-27-2008, 01:28 PM
"Semih Gokalp"

Default dpkg-buildpackage problem.

Hi all debian users.I hope,everything is ok for you.
I have Debian 4.0 Etch stable and running some service on it.I want to download source package and build deb package.

I have been typing,

# cd /usr/src
# apt-get source xyz

and download "xyz_1.0.orig.tar.gz" , "xyz._1.0.diff.gz" and "xyz_1.0.dsc" and automaticly extract "xyz.orig.tar.gz" to "xyz-1.0" folder and I have been applying some patch and other things to xyz-1.0 and

# dpkg-buildpackage

and deb package is builded successfully I dont have any problem.

But i want to apply patch and create deb package for "xyz-1.2" so I searched and found "xyz_1.2.orig.tar.gz" , "xyz_1.2.diff.gz" and "xyz_1.2.dsc",

from source web page.
I have put them to /usr/src directory and extract "xyz_1.2.orig.tar.gz" to "xyz-1.2" folder.Again,i applied some patch and entered

# dpkg-buildpackage

but error was printed like this:

dpkg-parsechangelog: error: cannot open debian/changelog to find format: No such file or directory
dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package is

Do i make wrong something ? or I have to type other command before dpkg-buildpackege,while create deb file without apt-get source command ?

After type apt-get source xyz for xyz_1.0,I saw this information,

dpkg-source: extracting xyz in xyz-1.0* *1
dpkg-source: unpacking xyz_1.0.orig.tar.gz* *2
dpkg-source: applying ./xyz_1.0.diff.gz *3

I understand *1 and *2 but I can not understand *3 ? Should I do *3 manually,when i create deb file for xyz_1.2 ? and If it is true,what should i do for *3 step ?

Do i ignore some step while create deb file without apt-get source command ?

Thanks.

Iyi calismalar.Basarilar...
Semih Gokalp
Istanbul/Turkiye

Old 07-27-2008, 01:34 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Semih Gokalp wrote:

> Hi all debian users.I hope,everything is ok for you.
> I have Debian 4.0 Etch stable and running some service on it.I want to
> download source package and build deb package.
>
> I have been typing,
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # apt-get source xyz
>
> and download "xyz_1.0.orig.tar.gz" , "xyz._1.0.diff.gz" and
> "xyz_1.0.dsc" and automaticly extract "xyz.orig.tar.gz" to "xyz-1.0"
> folder and I have been applying some patch and other things to xyz-1.0 and
>
> # dpkg-buildpackage
>
> and deb package is builded successfully I dont have any problem.
>
> But i want to apply patch and create deb package for "xyz-1.2" so I
> searched and found "xyz_1.2.orig.tar.gz" , "xyz_1.2.diff.gz" and
> "xyz_1.2.dsc",
> from source web page.
> I have put them to /usr/src directory and extract "xyz_1.2.orig.tar.gz"
> to "xyz-1.2" folder.Again,i applied some patch and entered
>
> # dpkg-buildpackage
>
> but error was printed like this:
>
> dpkg-parsechangelog: error: cannot open debian/changelog to find format:
> No such file or directory
> dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package is
>
> Do i make wrong something ? or I have to type other command before
> dpkg-buildpackege,while create deb file without apt-get source command ?
>
> After type apt-get source xyz for xyz_1.0,I saw this information,
>
> dpkg-source: extracting xyz in xyz-1.0 *1
> dpkg-source: unpacking xyz_1.0.orig.tar.gz *2
> dpkg-source: applying ./xyz_1.0.diff.gz *3
>
> I understand *1 and *2 but I can not understand *3 ? Should I do *3
> manually,when i create deb file for xyz_1.2 ? and If it is true,what
> should i do for *3 step ?
You should do "dpkg-source -x xyz_1.2.dsc". This command will unpack xyz-1.2.orig.tar.gz
and apply xyz_1.2.diff.gz. Only then you should apply your patch and then do
'dpkg-buildpackage'.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 PM
"Semih Gokalp"

You should do "dpkg-source -x xyz_1.2.dsc". This command will unpack xyz-1.2.orig.tar.gz

and apply xyz_1.2.diff.gz. Only then you should apply your patch and then do

'dpkg-buildpackage'.

Thanks for reply.It works.
Thanks again.

--
Iyi calismalar.Basarilar...
Semih Gokalp

Old 07-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Marko Randjelovic

Semih Gokalp wrote:

> Hi all debian users.I hope,everything is ok for you.
> I have Debian 4.0 Etch stable and running some service on it.I want to
> download source package and build deb package.
>
> I have been typing,
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # apt-get source xyz
>
> and download "xyz_1.0.orig.tar.gz" , "xyz._1.0.diff.gz" and
> "xyz_1.0.dsc" and automaticly extract "xyz.orig.tar.gz" to "xyz-1.0"
> folder and I have been applying some patch and other things to xyz-1.0 and
>
> # dpkg-buildpackage
>
> and deb package is builded successfully I dont have any problem.
>
> But i want to apply patch and create deb package for "xyz-1.2" so I
> searched and found "xyz_1.2.orig.tar.gz" , "xyz_1.2.diff.gz" and
> "xyz_1.2.dsc",
> from source web page.
> I have put them to /usr/src directory and extract "xyz_1.2.orig.tar.gz"
> to "xyz-1.2" folder.Again,i applied some patch and entered
>
> # dpkg-buildpackage
>
> but error was printed like this:
>
> dpkg-parsechangelog: error: cannot open debian/changelog to find format:
> No such file or directory
> dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package is

Did you apply xyz_1.2.diff.gz? You have to apply debian patch, so debian
subdirecory is created for building with dpkg-buildpackage. You should have
extracted package with 'dpkg-source -x xyz_1.2.dsc' and patch would have been
applied automaticaly. Then you apply your modifications and document that in the
changelog. And then build the package.

> Do i make wrong something ? or I have to type other command before
> dpkg-buildpackege,while create deb file without apt-get source command ?
>
> After type apt-get source xyz for xyz_1.0,I saw this information,
>
> dpkg-source: extracting xyz in xyz-1.0 *1
> dpkg-source: unpacking xyz_1.0.orig.tar.gz *2
> dpkg-source: applying ./xyz_1.0.diff.gz *3
>
> I understand *1 and *2 but I can not understand *3 ? Should I do *3
> manually,when i create deb file for xyz_1.2 ? and If it is true,what
> should i do for *3 step ?
>
> Do i ignore some step while create deb file without apt-get source
> command ?

Why would you apply any patch _after_ you create packages? And patch for 1.0
would not affect 1.2 version (it is intended for 1.0).

I recommend you first read New Maintainers Guide, then if have further problems,
explain more precisely what are you trying to do.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
"Semih Gokalp"

Yes i want to and i am going to read New Maintainers Guide.If i have further problem ,I will share and explain more precisely my problem.

And very thanks for replied and advice.

--
Iyi calismalar.Basarilar...
Semih Gokalp