Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Bob Cox

Default Any way to restore Iceweasel 2 behavior in the Navigation bar?

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 03:45:41 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> On 07/27/08 02:59, Thilo Six wrote:
> > Patrick Wiseman wrote the following on 27.07.2008 04:55
> >
> > </snip>
> >
> >> I want to be able to click on that right down-arrow and get
> >> the list of recently-visited sites (without regard to tab) I used to
> >> get. Is there any way to do that, or did some geek or other decide to
> >> change the user experience irrevocably for no good reason?
> >>
> >> Patrick
> >
> > STRG+H

STRG (Steuerung) is German for CTRL (Control), AFAIK. CTRL-H open the
history pane anyway.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Bob Cox

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 03:45:41 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> On 07/27/08 02:59, Thilo Six wrote:
> > Patrick Wiseman wrote the following on 27.07.2008 04:55
> >
> > </snip>
> >
> >> I want to be able to click on that right down-arrow and get
> >> the list of recently-visited sites (without regard to tab) I used to
> >> get. Is there any way to do that, or did some geek or other decide to
> >> change the user experience irrevocably for no good reason?
> >>
> >> Patrick
> >
> > STRG+H
>
> ??

Sorry Ron. I snipped your "??" at my first attempt.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Bob Cox

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 08:35:56 -0400, Patrick Wiseman (pwiseman@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Brian Marshall <bmars@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

[snip]

> > I've seen lots of people complain about the awesomebar in fx3, but they
> > usually do it immediately after noticing it without giving it a chance.
>
> I dislike it. No doubt I'll get used to it, probably by ignoring it.

Maybe because of this but mostly because of several other irritations,
the latest of which was with .pdf files causing occasional segfaults, I
purged Iceweasel 3 and replaced it with Iceweasel 2.0.0.16 (and my,
fortunately, backed up pre-IW3 ~/.mozilla directory).

I had not thought IW3 was especially slow, despite having read various
tales of woe on this list and elsewhere, but returning to IW2 was like a
breath of fresh air. It just seems much more nimble and responsive.

Presumably at some point FF2/IW2 will cease to be supported, but I'll
stick with it for the time being.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:24:12 -0400, Michael Marsh (michael.a.marsh@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:
> > Maybe because of this but mostly because of several other irritations,
> > the latest of which was with .pdf files causing occasional segfaults, I
> > purged Iceweasel 3 and replaced it with Iceweasel 2.0.0.16 (and my,
> > fortunately, backed up pre-IW3 ~/.mozilla directory).
>
> I've always disabled the internal acroread plugin and let xpdf handle
> pdf files for me. It's faster and doesn't subject my browser to any
> bad pdf reader behavior. I also find that the reader plugin makes too
> ineffective use of available screen space.

Thank you Michael. I have just been experimenting with your suggestion
(although using kpdf rather than xpdf) and it looks like a good idea.