Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Turion 64X2 desktop?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:47 AM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Ron Johnson wrote:

> Is anyone running such a beast? I've seen reviews of mobo/CPU
> combos, but they are old Socket 754 systems.
>
> TIA
I am.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/27/08 05:47, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Is anyone running such a beast? I've seen reviews of mobo/CPU
>>> combos, but they are old Socket 754 systems.
>>>
>>> TIA
>> I am.
>
> What mobo and which specific CPU?

AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56

What info for motherboard you need? Some command's output?
I don't know the model or company - it's laptop.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson wrote:

Is anyone running such a beast? I've seen reviews of mobo/CPU
combos, but they are old Socket 754 systems.

TIA

I am.

What mobo and which specific CPU?

AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56

What info for motherboard you need? Some command's output?
I don't know the model or company - it's laptop.

Ah, no, I'm specifically looking for a desktop mobo. With a strong
preference for one with PCIe slots which I can add a video card to.

The goal is a low-power (thus quiet) desktop for my kids that does
well at 3D and video playback (i.e., xv support). I'm thinking
something passively cooled in the NVIDIA 7300 range. The desktop
form factor would also allow for cheaper RAM and 3.5" hard optical
drives.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
kj

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/29/08 15:01, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56

What info for motherboard you need? Some command's output?
I don't know the model or company - it's laptop.

Ah, no, I'm specifically looking for a desktop mobo. With a strong
preference for one with PCIe slots which I can add a video card to.

The goal is a low-power (thus quiet) desktop for my kids that does well
at 3D and video playback (i.e., xv support). I'm thinking something
passively cooled in the NVIDIA 7300 range. The desktop form factor
would also allow for cheaper RAM and 3.5" hard optical drives.

Hi Ron,

I missed the first part of the thread, so I'm assuming you have a
Turion64 of some flavour too. I am looking for this too, and all I have
found so far, was an out-of-production Albatron Mini-ITX board. Mine is
a single core, so you may have a little more luck, but there are very
few manufacturers who specify Turion64(_x2) compatibility, even if the
boards are compatible.

--kj

Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
kj

kj wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

This is the newer (AM2) version of the one I was thinking of:
http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/Product/MB/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=239

Not quite what you're looking for but as close as I've been able to get
to it.

--kj

Old 07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/30/08 08:50, kj wrote:

kj wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Thanks. No I don't actually have a Turion, and you have all the
important bits of the thread...

How can one tell whether a mobo is surreptitiously compatible with
current Turion64 or Turion64x2 CPUs?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
kj

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/30/08 08:50, kj wrote:

kj wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

I found this page which gives some idea:

http://angelfall.s39.xrea.com/area2ch/turion-e.html

But of course, manufacturers often change things, without changing the
board revision number. I've read a couple of reports where a BIOS
update was required to solve some issue with the hardware, but the BIOS
update removed Turion64 compatibility - chicken-and-egg situation.

This page also has some useful info:

Other than that you have to depend on the manufacturer to officially
support it. The only such board I know of is the MSI K8MM3-V, which I
can no longer find for sale anywhere.

--kj

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/31/08 04:54, kj wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/30/08 08:50, kj wrote:

kj wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

I already found both of those sites. Socket 754, though.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."