Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Celejar

Default What is ~~ into inittab?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:33:48 +0000
Oscar Corte <oect_1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I've been reading about the boot process and the inittab file. So far I understand about the fields separated by “:”, etc.
>
> At some point my inittab file contains :
>
> # What to do in single-user mode.
> ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin
>
> Could somebody give me a hint about what does the “~~” means at the 'id' field?
>
> All I know is that this sign (~) is a reference to the user's home directory
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers

>From 'man inittab':

An entry in the inittab file has the following format:

id:runlevels:actionrocess

Lines beginning with ‘#’ are ignored.

id is a unique sequence of 1-4 characters which identifies an entry in inittab (for versions of
sysvinit compiled with the old libc5 (< 5.2.18) or a.out libraries the limit is 2 characters).

So it seems that the particular value of the field is unimportant, and
~~ doesn't necessarily mean anything special. Caveat: I'm no expert on
this stuff, and I may be completely wrong.

> Oscar

Celejar