-   -   Broke /etc/apt/preferences when trying to use just one package from unstable. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/132036-broke-etc-apt-preferences-when-trying-use-just-one-package-unstable.html)

"James Youngman" 07-26-2008 11:51 AM

Broke /etc/apt/preferences when trying to use just one package from unstable.

I modified /etc/apt/{preferences,sources.list} to get just
flashplugin-nonfree from unstable. That seemed to work.
However, now I find that "apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev" results in
this error:

# apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libsdl1.2-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package libsdl1.2-dev has no installation candidate

Could somebody take a look at my preferences and sources.list files
and explain to me what I broke and how? I attach both files
(/etc/apt/sources.list.d is empty).

Thanks,
James.

Thomas Preud'homme 07-27-2008 08:42 PM

Broke /etc/apt/preferences when trying to use just one package from unstable.

Le samedi 26 juillet 2008, Florian Kulzer a écrit*:

[SNIP]

> Your apt_preferences has multiple matches for certain repositories
> and your last two rules put the priority of more or less everything
> to -1. I am not surprised that apt starts to become weird.
>
> Your goal can be achieved much simpler, with just one rule in
> preferences:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 1
>
> This means that testing will normally be preferred to unstable
> (unless you ask for a package that is not in testing yet). In other
> words, you can upgrade your testing system like before, and whenever
> you want one or more packages from unstable you can call apt-get with
> "-t unstable", e.g.:
>
> apt-get -t unstable install flashplugin-nonfree

You can achieve the same behaviour by just adding this option in
apt.conf :

APT::Default-Release stable;

> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer