-   -   pine help (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/131780-pine-help.html)

07-25-2008 08:32 PM

pine help

yes, i know pine is a million years old. i still love it. so
shh.

anyhow, i'm having a strange issue. i used to be able to read
HTML emails by launching lynx within pine - select view, then the HTML
email, then yes, then *boom* i'm pushed into lynx to view the html.
after, i quit lynx, & i'm back in pine.

but something changed, even though pine hasn't been updated in
forever. i can't find a setting i even accidentally hit, but now it
just says "[VIEWER command launched]", & doesn't launch anything. i
stay in pine, unable to view the html. any ideas? i used this feature
of pine pretty often. TIA.

lish
crank@got.net

Guillermo Mulliert Carlín 07-25-2008 09:14 PM

pine help

Hello,

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:

|> yes, i know pine is a million years old. i still love it. so
|> shh.
|>
|> anyhow, i'm having a strange issue. i used to be able to read
|> HTML emails by launching lynx within pine - select view, then the HTML
|> email, then yes, then *boom* i'm pushed into lynx to view the html.
|> after, i quit lynx, & i'm back in pine.
|>
|> but something changed, even though pine hasn't been updated in
|> forever. i can't find a setting i even accidentally hit, but now it
|> just says "[VIEWER command launched]", & doesn't launch anything. i
|> stay in pine, unable to view the html. any ideas? i used this feature
|> of pine pretty often. TIA.

In your .pinerc, have you verified the variable?

# List of programs to open Internet URLs (e.g. http or ftp references).
url-viewers=your_favotie_url_viewer

Hope this help

Guilermo Mulliert

07-25-2008 10:09 PM

pine help

Guillermo Mulliert Carl?n <Guillermo.Mulliert@lcm3b.uhp-nancy.fr> wrote:
GMCn> Hello,
GMCn> |> anyhow, i'm having a strange issue. i used to be able to read
GMCn> |> HTML emails by launching lynx within pine - select view, then the HTML
GMCn> |> email, then yes, then *boom* i'm pushed into lynx to view the html.
GMCn> |> after, i quit lynx, & i'm back in pine.
GMCn> In your .pinerc, have you verified the variable?
GMCn> # List of programs to open Internet URLs (e.g. http or ftp references).
GMCn> url-viewers=your_favotie_url_viewer

hi, yes, i have:

url-viewers="/usr/bin/lynx _URL_"

that formatting is as the pine help said, but i really don't
recall ever setting that in the first place, so perhaps that's not the
issue? anyway, even set it's not working like it was before. :/

lish
crank@got.net

Miles Fidelman 07-25-2008 10:34 PM

pine help

i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:

Guillermo Mulliert Carl?n <Guillermo.Mulliert@lcm3b.uhp-nancy.fr> wrote:
GMCn> Hello,
GMCn> |> anyhow, i'm having a strange issue. i used to be able to read
GMCn> |> HTML emails by launching lynx within pine - select view, then the HTML
GMCn> |> email, then yes, then *boom* i'm pushed into lynx to view the html.
GMCn> |> after, i quit lynx, & i'm back in pine.

GMCn> In your .pinerc, have you verified the variable?
GMCn> # List of programs to open Internet URLs (e.g. http or ftp references).
GMCn> url-viewers=your_favotie_url_viewer

hi, yes, i have:

url-viewers="/usr/bin/lynx _URL_"

that formatting is as the pine help said, but i really don't
recall ever setting that in the first place, so perhaps that's not the
issue? anyway, even set it's not working like it was before. :/

A couple of perhaps silly questions:
- does lynx still work when invoked directly?
- has something changed in you search path?

Ron Johnson 07-25-2008 10:55 PM

pine help

Aaron Hall 07-25-2008 11:05 PM

pine help

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:

> hi, yes, i have:
>
> url-viewers="/usr/bin/lynx _URL_"
>
> that formatting is as the pine help said, but i really don't
> recall ever setting that in the first place, so perhaps that's not the
> issue? anyway, even set it's not working like it was before. :/

Do the URLs have any special characters ("?", "&" from CGI and whatnot)?
I've noticed that alpine 1.0 (and probably pine) gives exactly the
behavior you mention with such URLs. URLs without special characters
worked fine. Alpine 1.10 and newer fixes this, although I don't recall
if you have to put quotes around the URL token in url-viewers. (Can't
get at my Alpine 1.10 setup right now.)

If this is it, I could work around it in Alpine 1.0 by hitting 'A' for
editApp and manually putting quotes around the _URL_ token.

- Aaron

07-26-2008 01:22 AM

pine help

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
MF> i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> hi, yes, i have:
>> url-viewers="/usr/bin/lynx _URL_"
MF> A couple of perhaps silly questions:
MF> - does lynx still work when invoked directly?
MF> - has something changed in you search path?

hey, feel free to ask silly questions - clearly something silly is
going on here.

yep, lynx by itself works fine. i haven't changed anything there
either, & i use it as my primary browser.

nothing's changed ANYWHERE that i can tell - but of course
SOMETHING'S changed. as far as i can tell, this is the only thing that
happened & has done so on its own - which of course makes NO sense.

lish
crank@got.net

07-26-2008 01:26 AM

pine help

Aaron Hall <lisps@vitaphone.net> wrote:
AH> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> hi, yes, i have:
>> url-viewers="/usr/bin/lynx _URL_"
AH> Do the URLs have any special characters ("?", "&" from CGI and whatnot)?
AH> I've noticed that alpine 1.0 (and probably pine) gives exactly the
AH> behavior you mention with such URLs. URLs without special characters

no, the characters are all alphanumeric, no spaces even. however:

AH> If this is it, I could work around it in Alpine 1.0 by hitting 'A' for
AH> editApp and manually putting quotes around the _URL_ token.

'A' on the attachment gave me details about it, which is a command
i've never used. the curious part is this:

Type : Text
Subtype : HTML
Encoding : QUOTED-PRINTABLE
Parameters : CHARSET = Windows-1252
Approx. Size : 19,695 bytes
Display Method : "/usr/bin/sensible-browser '<datafile>'"

sensible-browser? i've never used or configured that... sensi*
isn't anywhere in the config, either. invoking it looks just like links2.

for curiousity's sake, i renamed sensible-browser & then copied
lynx as /usr/bin/sensible-browser, but doing so made no difference to
pine.

lish "i never realized
crank@got.net ignoring him was an option." -sp
43.9% / 32 RANA 128 / 70

07-26-2008 01:27 AM

pine help

RJ> On 07/25/08 15:32, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> yes, i know pine is a million years old. i still love it. so
>> shh.
RJ> Since you like pine, have you tried alpine?

i haven't, but i sorely fear change. :D

lish
crank@got.net

"Arvind Marathe" 07-26-2008 06:09 AM

pine help

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM, i'll teach you to turn away.
<crank@got.net> wrote:
[...snip...]
> sensible-browser? i've never used or configured that... sensi*
> isn't anywhere in the config, either. invoking it looks just like links2.
>
> for curiousity's sake, i renamed sensible-browser & then copied
> lynx as /usr/bin/sensible-browser, but doing so made no difference to
> pine.

The script /usr/bin/sensible-browser points to /usr/bin/www-browser or
/usr/bin/x-www-browser. So rather than renaming, a better option would
be to set www-browser using

update-alternatives --config www-browser

and selecting lynx.

Perhaps you tried to play with links2 for a while and set the default
www-browser to links2? and then uninstalled links2?

Arvind