Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Ron Johnson

Default pine help

Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM

Arvind Marathe <bahuroopi@gmail.com> wrote:
AM> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM, i'll teach you to turn away.
>> for curiousity's sake, i renamed sensible-browser & then copied
>> lynx as /usr/bin/sensible-browser, but doing so made no difference to
>> pine.
AM> The script /usr/bin/sensible-browser points to /usr/bin/www-browser or
AM> /usr/bin/x-www-browser. So rather than renaming, a better option would
AM> be to set www-browser using
AM> update-alternatives --config www-browser
AM> and selecting lynx.

hm.

compunction:/home/crank# update-alternatives --config www-browser

There is only 1 program which provides www-browser
(/usr/bin/links2). Nothing to configure.

bit more help? i never actively use update-alternatives for
anything; it's been one of those programs i only use when someone tells me
to. ;D

AM> Perhaps you tried to play with links2 for a while and set the default
AM> www-browser to links2? and then uninstalled links2?

nah, i use links2 plenty, especially when something wants java -
but it's never been my default from pine.

lish
crank@got.net

Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 PM

RJ> On 07/25/08 20:27, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> i haven't, but i sorely fear change.
RJ> A Linux user who fears change? Are you sure that's not a 3B1 on
RJ> your desk?

i'm pretty sure, but i'm too busy playing my green-screen gameboy
to check for certain.

lish
crank@got.net

Old 07-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Arvind Marathe

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 05:33:24PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Arvind Marathe <bahuroopi@gmail.com> wrote:
> AM> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM, i'll teach you to turn away.
> >> for curiousity's sake, i renamed sensible-browser & then copied
> >> lynx as /usr/bin/sensible-browser, but doing so made no difference to
> >> pine.
> AM> The script /usr/bin/sensible-browser points to /usr/bin/www-browser or
> AM> /usr/bin/x-www-browser. So rather than renaming, a better option would
> AM> be to set www-browser using
> AM> update-alternatives --config www-browser
> AM> and selecting lynx.
>
> hm.
>
> compunction:/home/crank# update-alternatives --config www-browser
>
> There is only 1 program which provides www-browser
> (/usr/bin/links2). Nothing to configure.
>
> bit more help? i never actively use update-alternatives for
> anything; it's been one of those programs i only use when someone tells me
> to. ;D

I only had w3m as my text browser. And hence my www-browser was
pointing to /usr/bin/w3m. To test the system behaviour, i installed
lynx using aptitude. Now i get:

root@laasya:~# update-alternatives --config www-browser

There are 2 alternatives which provide `www-browser'.

Selection Alternative
1 /usr/bin/w3m
*+ 2 /usr/bin/lynx.cur

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

Looks like the system changed default www-browser to lynx, when it
installed lynx. Thats strange. Is this a bug?

So perhaps in your case, links2 was installed later and got selected
as www-browser. Still that does not explain why update-alternatives
does not provide lynx as an option. Maybe you can re-install lynx and
see what happens?

Arvind

Old 07-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Arvind Marathe <bahuroopi@gmail.com> wrote:
AM> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 05:33:24PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> compunction:/home/crank# update-alternatives --config www-browser
>> There is only 1 program which provides www-browser
>> (/usr/bin/links2). Nothing to configure.
AM> So perhaps in your case, links2 was installed later and got selected
AM> as www-browser. Still that does not explain why update-alternatives
AM> does not provide lynx as an option. Maybe you can re-install lynx and
AM> see what happens?

but i haven't re/installed/upgraded/anything lynx or links2 since
pine started acting oddly.

though, i did just try to upgrade lynx, & the system did. it
removed lynx-ssl, installed lynx-cur, & upgraded lynx. i WAS then able to
set the www-browser to lynx... but pine's still acting the same way. :/

lish
crank@got.net