Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Nigel Henry

Default Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop.

On Friday 25 July 2008 19:52, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> To get the on-board sound device of an IBM NetVista
> working I must run alsaconf almost every time Lenny
> starts.
>
> The first viewer of alsaconf mentions
> "... testing/sid ... *udev* is predestined to load
> your driver."
>
> Well, seeing that udev fails to load the driver in
> Lenny, I installed sid on an old Toshiba 4000CDS.
> "hwinfo --sound" reports nothing and there is no
> sound. I started alsaconf. When almost finished,
> it reports "Loading driver...". There the system
> freezes solid. The power button has no effect.
>
> Is there any way to stop the beast other than by
> unplugging external power and removing the battery?
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.

Hi Peter. Firstly this is probably going to be of no help, as I don't have any
laptops, and my Sarge, Etch, and Lenny installs are on a machine which has a
well supported Creative Audigy2 soundblaster card. That said, perhaps you
could provide a bit of info.

leaving aside your Sid install on the Toshiba 4000CDS, Which kernels do you
have available on your IBM NetVista machine. All my Debian installs were
initially installed from Woody 3.0r2, and I have a bunch of kernels
available, some of which are pre udev, For example on my Lenny install, I
have the following kernels available.
2.6.8
2.6.11
Both these IIRC are pre udev, and you should have no problems running alsaconf
when booting with these, and whatever alsaconf configures, should be saved
over a reboot.

I also have 2 kernels which I believe use udev, and sound still works ok in my
case, as below.
2.6.17
2.6.21

Which kernel is your Lenny using? uname -r will give you this.

Now I may be wrong here, but seem to have read that you shouldn't run alsaconf
on kernels that are supposed to be setting up Alsa via udev, as it may mess
some stuff up. As you say though that running alsaconf gets the sounds going,
this may confirm that I'm wrong on this.

Do you have an earlier kernel available to try, perhaps a 2.6.8, or 2.6.11, as
I have?

When you bootup the IBM NetVista machine with Lenny on it, what do you get
from the following commands.
lsmod | grep snd
cat /proc/asound/version
cat /proc/asound/cards
and
lspci -v (just the bit for the soundcard will do here)

and perhaps, after running alsaconf, the output of.
lsmod | grep snd
cat /proc/asound/cards

That's all I can think of at the moment, and may not be much help in resolving
your problem.

Nigel.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Nigel,

Progress!

SUMMARY
According to the outputs from lsmod below, the net
effect of alsaconf is to remove snd_hda_intel. So,
unless there is more specific advice, I should find how
to prevent loading of snd_hda_intel at startup.

Odd that removing snd_hda_intel makes sound work!

Thanks, ... Peter E.

nh> Which kernel is your Lenny [on IBM NetVista] using?

Currently only 2.6.25-2.

nh> Do you have an earlier kernel available to try, perhaps a 2.6.8, or 2.6.11

I can install one of them if necessary.

nh> When you bootup the IBM NetVista machine with Lenny on it, what do you get
from the following commands.

dalton:~# lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel 309976 0
snd_intel8x0 31740 0
snd_ac97_codec 91300 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 1952 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_dummy 3780 0
snd_usb_audio 75936 0
snd_pcm_oss 37824 0
snd_mixer_oss 14880 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss 28544 0
snd_pcm 68228 5 snd_hda_intel,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_ audio,snd_pcm_oss
snd_usb_lib 15744 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_midi 8064 0
snd_seq_midi_event 6976 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 22528 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 45872 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_hwdep 8708 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_timer 21320 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 7564 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
snd 48772 13 snd_hda_intel,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_ audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_pc m,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_seq_ device
soundcore 7488 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9992 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
usbcore 130032 9 asix,usbnet,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,ehci_ hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd

dalton:~# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16rc2 (Thu Jan 31 16:40:16 2008 UTC).

dalton:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:1f.2-2, full speed

dalton:~# lspci -v | "pick out sound stuff"
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: IBM Device 01c6
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
I/O ports at fe00 [size=16]
Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
Kernel modules: i2c-i801

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: IBM Device 01c6
I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
I/O ports at f400 [size=64]
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

nh> after running alsaconf, the output of.

dalton:~# lsmod | grep snd
snd_usb_audio 75936 0
snd_usb_lib 15744 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hwdep 8708 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_intel8x0 31740 0
snd_ac97_codec 91300 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 1952 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 37824 0
snd_mixer_oss 14880 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 68228 4 snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss
snd_seq_dummy 3780 0
snd_seq_oss 28544 0
snd_seq_midi 8064 0
snd_rawmidi 22528 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 6976 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 45872 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 21320 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 7564 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
snd 48772 12 snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_code c,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,sn d_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 7488 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9992 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
usbcore 130032 9 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,asix,usbnet,usbhid,ehci_ hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd

dalton:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [I82801BAICH2 ]: ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2
Intel 82801BA-ICH2 with AD1885 at irq 17
1 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:1f.2-2, full speed

http://carnot.yi.org/
= http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/
Desktops.OpenDoc http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/

Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 27 July 2008 17:39, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Progress!
>
> SUMMARY
> According to the outputs from lsmod below, the net
> effect of alsaconf is to remove snd_hda_intel. So,
> unless there is more specific advice, I should find how
> to prevent loading of snd_hda_intel at startup.
>
> Odd that removing snd_hda_intel makes sound work!
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.
>
> nh> Which kernel is your Lenny [on IBM NetVista] using?
>
> Currently only 2.6.25-2.
>
> nh> Do you have an earlier kernel available to try, perhaps a 2.6.8, or
> 2.6.11
>
> I can install one of them if necessary.
>
> nh> When you bootup the IBM NetVista machine with Lenny on it, what do you
> get from the following commands.

Hi Peter. Interesting from viewing the lsmod output below, that both
snd-hda-intel, and snd-intel8x0 are being loaded, and also very weird.

You should be able to just blacklist the snd-hda-intel module
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, but I've seen some folks having problems
blacklisting modules, as they still seem to load.

I'd suggest adding a line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, as below.
install snd-hda-intel /bin/true

Any module loaded into /bin/true goes to nowhere land. It's loaded, but does
nothing, and is effectively sent into limbo.

I've no idea why both modules are being loaded, but the above is worth a try.

> dalton:~# lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel 309976 0
> snd_intel8x0 31740 0
> snd_ac97_codec 91300 1 snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus 1952 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_seq_dummy 3780 0
> snd_usb_audio 75936 0
> snd_pcm_oss 37824 0
> snd_mixer_oss 14880 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_oss 28544 0
> snd_pcm 68228 5
> snd_hda_intel,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_ audio,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_usb_lib 15744 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_seq_midi 8064 0
> snd_seq_midi_event 6976 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_rawmidi 22528 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq 45872 6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event snd_hwdep
> 8708 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_timer 21320 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 7564 5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq snd
> 48772 13
> snd_hda_intel,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_ audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mix
>er_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,sn d_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_seq_d
>evice soundcore 7488 1 snd
> snd_page_alloc 9992 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> usbcore 130032 9
> asix,usbnet,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,ehci_ hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd
>
> dalton:~# cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16rc2 (Thu Jan 31
> 16:40:16 2008 UTC).
>
> dalton:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
> C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:1f.2-2,
> full speed

There is clearly some sort of conflict going on when both snd-hda-intel,
snd-intel8x0 are being loaded, so that neither is detected as a sound card
in /proc/asound/cards, and only your usb headphone set is detected, and set
as card0 as no other cards can be found.

> dalton:~# lspci -v | "pick out sound stuff"
> 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
> Subsystem: IBM Device 01c6
> Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
> I/O ports at fe00 [size=16]
> Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
> Kernel modules: i2c-i801
>
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97
> Audio Controller (rev 02) Subsystem: IBM Device 01c6
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 9
> I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
> I/O ports at f400 [size=64]
> Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
>
> nh> after running alsaconf, the output of.
>
> dalton:~# lsmod | grep snd
> snd_usb_audio 75936 0
> snd_usb_lib 15744 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_hwdep 8708 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_intel8x0 31740 0
> snd_ac97_codec 91300 1 snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus 1952 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss 37824 0
> snd_mixer_oss 14880 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 68228 4
> snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss snd_seq_dummy
> 3780 0
> snd_seq_oss 28544 0
> snd_seq_midi 8064 0
> snd_rawmidi 22528 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event 6976 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq 45872 6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event snd_timer
> 21320 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 7564 5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq snd
> 48772 12
> snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_code c,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o
>ss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
> soundcore 7488 1 snd
> snd_page_alloc 9992 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> usbcore 130032 9
> snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,asix,usbnet,usbhid,ehci_ hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd
>
> dalton:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [I82801BAICH2 ]: ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2
> Intel 82801BA-ICH2 with AD1885 at irq 17
> 1 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
> C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:1f.2-2,
> full speed
>
> ================================================== =====================
>
> -

See how it goes with my suggestion above.

Nigel.

Really weird though, like the modules have been smoking some dodgy stuff, and
both insist on being the one for the soundcard.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Thomas Preud'homme

Le dimanche 27 juillet 2008, Nigel Henry a écrit*:

[SNIP]

> Hi Peter. Interesting from viewing the lsmod output below, that both
> snd-hda-intel, and snd-intel8x0 are being loaded, and also very
> weird.
>
> You should be able to just blacklist the snd-hda-intel module
> in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, but I've seen some folks having
> problems blacklisting modules, as they still seem to load.

I had the same problem with via82 which conflict with cmipci module.
When I unload via82 module, sound work again. Why my cmi sound card and
my via82 chipset sound can't work both ? I don't know.

So I had to blacklist it with its dependencies since it keep loading if
I just blacklist via82 module. I added 3 lines
to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist :

# Blacklist via soundcard
blacklist snd_via82xx
blacklist snd_ac97_codec