Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
PETER EASTHOPE

Default Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop.

Folk,

To get the on-board sound device of an IBM NetVista
working I must run alsaconf almost every time Lenny
starts.

The first viewer of alsaconf mentions
"... testing/sid ... *udev* is predestined to load
your driver."

Well, seeing that udev fails to load the driver in
Lenny, I installed sid on an old Toshiba 4000CDS.
"hwinfo --sound" reports nothing and there is no
sound. I started alsaconf. When almost finished,
it reports "Loading driver...". There the system
freezes solid. The power button has no effect.

Is there any way to stop the beast other than by
unplugging external power and removing the battery?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/
http://carnot.yi.org/ = http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/