Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Synchronize two folders in both way; criteria: last changed

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 07:23:46PM +0200, Dvorzhetsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First I'll explain the situation: I have an archive folder with images,
> text and other type of files. I used to backup this folder from time to
> time but at some point I stop doing that and got confuse (or messy and
> start to edit files in the backup and/or to add files to the 'current'
> folder.
>
> I'd like to rationalized that by synchronizing the backup and current in
> both way:
>
> - keeping only the version of the files which have been the most
> recently changed.
> - if a file or a subfolder is present in one folder and not the other
> I'd like to always keep it.
>
> I look into mann rsync but I'm always asked to choose one source and one
> destination, which is obviously not what I want to do. Is there a way to
> do that with rsync? How?
>
> Maybe with another software?

you could get unison to do it I think. That seems to fit the model of
what it does. I use it, but it's been so long since I started using
it, that I don't know how it reacts the first time you use
it. Certainly worth a shot though.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Sylvain Le Gall

On 25-07-2008, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> --9JSHP372f+2dzJ8X
>
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 07:23:46PM +0200, Dvorzhetsky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First I'll explain the situation: I have an archive folder with images, =
>=20
>> text and other type of files. I used to backup this folder from time to =
>=20
>> time but at some point I stop doing that and got confuse (or messy and =
>=20
>> start to edit files in the backup and/or to add files to the 'current' =
>=20
>> folder.
>>
>> I'd like to rationalized that by synchronizing the backup and current in =
>=20
>> both way:
>>
>> - keeping only the version of the files which have been the most =20
>> recently changed.
>> - if a file or a subfolder is present in one folder and not the other =20
>> I'd like to always keep it.
>>
>> I look into mann rsync but I'm always asked to choose one source and one =
>=20
>> destination, which is obviously not what I want to do. Is there a way to =
>=20
>> do that with rsync? How?
>>
>> Maybe with another software?
>
> you could get unison to do it I think. That seems to fit the model of
> what it does. I use it, but it's been so long since I started using
> it, that I don't know how it reacts the first time you use
> it. Certainly worth a shot though.

Unison when first running will give you a pretty good choice folloing
your criteria... But this is not for sure. You can tune the way it do it
through option like -prefer and -preferpartial...

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall