Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Peter Daum

Default apt-proxy: can't use more than 1 backend

I am trying to get apt-proxy to work on a test machine running lenny.
Because hardly anything worked as expected, I stripped the configuration
down more and more.but it seems that nothing involving more than 1 backend
works. Here the scenario:

server(lenny) has the following apt-proxy backends:

[debian]
backends = http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

[debian-security]
backends = http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security

client(etch) /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://server:7777/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://server:7777/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://server:7777/debian-security etch/updates main contrib

with this cfg, I can only access backend "debian", apt-get update
reports:
Failed to fetch http://server:7777/
debian-security/dists/etch/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

when I disable the "debian-security" entry on the client,
apt-get update is successful.

The really funny part: when I change the backend order on the server
so "debian-security" is the 1st backend and restart the apt-proxy,
access to debian-security works, but "debian" doesn't.

Any ideas?

Generally, apt-proxy doesn't really look overly trustworthy (on
every start there is a python warning about telnet being deprecated),
but there doesn't seem to be any better alternative (I don't want to
run a full-blown apache server).

Peter

Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Gilles Mocellin

Le Friday 25 July 2008 18:34:17 Peter Daum, vous avez écrit*:
> I am trying to get apt-proxy to work on a test machine running lenny.
[...]

> Generally, apt-proxy doesn't really look overly trustworthy (on
> every start there is a python warning about telnet being deprecated),
> but there doesn't seem to be any better alternative (I don't want to
> run a full-blown apache server).
>
> Peter

I switched last year to approx, far more stable for me.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:14:54 +0200
Gilles Mocellin <gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:

> Le Friday 25 July 2008 18:34:17 Peter Daum, vous avez écrit*:
> > I am trying to get apt-proxy to work on a test machine running lenny.
> [...]
>
> > Generally, apt-proxy doesn't really look overly trustworthy (on
> > every start there is a python warning about telnet being deprecated),
> > but there doesn't seem to be any better alternative (I don't want to
> > run a full-blown apache server).
> >
> > Peter
>
> I switched last year to approx, far more stable for me.

I, too. I used to have trouble with apt-proxy; I now use approx and
I'm happy with it.

Celejar

Old 07-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Peter Daum

Celejar wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:14:54 +0200
I am trying to get apt-proxy to work on a test machine running lenny.

[...]

Generally, apt-proxy doesn't really look overly trustworthy (on
every start there is a python warning about telnet being deprecated),
but there doesn't seem to be any better alternative (I don't want to
run a full-blown apache server).

Peter

I switched last year to approx, far more stable for me.

I, too. I used to have trouble with apt-proxy; I now use approx and
I'm happy with it.

...so did I, meanwhile. It seems to have a little less configuration options,
but it took ~5 minutes to replace the non-working apt-proxy configuration by
approx and so far everything seems to work.

one little problem, that I already had with apt-proxy, remains: When installing
packages, I always get a warning that they "cannot be authenticated". I think,
this only occurs with lenny, not with etch. The keyring is installed...

Any ideas?

Peter

Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Manoj Srivastava

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:03:39 -0400, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> said:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:14:54 +0200
> Gilles Mocellin <gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:

>> Le Friday 25 July 2008 18:34:17 Peter Daum, vous avez écrit*:
>> > I am trying to get apt-proxy to work on a test machine running
>> > lenny.
>> [...]
>>
>> > Generally, apt-proxy doesn't really look overly trustworthy (on
>> > every start there is a python warning about telnet being
>> > deprecated), but there doesn't seem to be any better alternative (I
>> > don't want to run a full-blown apache server).
>> >
>> > Peter
>>
>> I switched last year to approx, far more stable for me.

> I, too. I used to have trouble with apt-proxy; I now use approx and
> I'm happy with it.

apt-proxy used to have an option of using more than one backend
for a repository; so my debian alias had more than one backend, since
ftp.us.debian.org is sometimes flakey for me. I don't see that option
for approx; which is not a big deal, though.

Also, I guess I'll have to bind mount the old apt-proxt
repository over /var/cache/approx.

manoj
--
DISCLAIMER: Use of this advanced computing technology does not imply an
endorsementof Western industrial civilization.