Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default Paul's email is garbled for me

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 18:20 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:57 흍㒲횛漨꺋帢ᚯ禫⵪

Paul,

is your client hosed, or mine, or something else? The last two emails
you sent only showed what is quoted above. On my screen it looks like
asian writting and some block char and has one line.

> Paul's messages appear fine here also, but comparing his messages with
> those of others using GPG signing (and hence using quoted-printable),
> the difference is that there is no 'charset' declared:
>
> (Paul)
>
> (Damon)
>
> (Andrew)
>
> (Various others)
>
> (One other)
>
> And so on.
>
> With no charset value, maybe the strange characters are because of
> some
> weird default character set on the system used to view the message?
>
> --
> Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.

Ok, it appears that others see Paul's email just fine. I am using
Evolution as a client and I just reset my locales to enclude en_US
ISO-8859-1, en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15, and UTF-8 (UTF-8 was the only
one I had selected). Running Sid with Gnome/Evolution.

Previously, as of two days ago I was running XFCE4 w/kontact. Due to a
massive memory leak (4G of ram and 4G of swap would fill up in about
three days) I swithced to gnome. I also purged all KDE packages ( I
only used kontact and had KDE for testing reasons). Any ideas on how to
pin this down (assuming that selecting the other US_locales did not fix
the issue?

Paul, would you respond to this thread just so I can test it out now?

Thanks,

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Ignore this parent, Please do not respond to this email, it appears I
have hijacked this thread. Please excuse this mistake, I am learning
how evolution works, and it is not always the way I expect. I am
starting a new thread, lets see how that is posted.

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 06:06 -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> Ok, it appears that others see Paul's email just fine. I am using
> Evolution as a client and I just reset my locales to enclude en_US
> ISO-8859-1, en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15, and UTF-8 (UTF-8 was the only
> one I had selected). Running Sid with Gnome/Evolution.

I'm using Testing with Evolution, I just noticed I'm using us-ascii,
though I usually try to use UTF-8 instead of using a regional encoding.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca