-   -   Can't start X-Server as normal user (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/131148-cant-start-x-server-normal-user.html)

web32p2@onlime.ch 07-24-2008 07:49 PM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

Hi everyone

# startx ...works
$ startx ...does not

The last thing I can remember I was doing before
the problem started was

$ xauth extract mykey :0
# xauth merge mykey
# fooprogramm &

What I already tryed to solve the problem:

(I)
# aptitude --purge <my-xserver>
# aptitude --purge <my-windowmanager>
# aptitude --purge <my-display-manager>

...and after reinstalled it.

(II)
Removed .Xauthority-file of the normal user and
of root.

Maybe the problem lies somewhere else. Looking
forward to your inputs.

Cheers

Sam

Kent West 07-24-2008 08:42 PM

web32p2@onlime.ch wrote:
> Hi everyone
>

> # startx ...works
> $ startx ...does not
I would start by looking in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and making sure the
"allowed_users" line equals "console".

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Ron Johnson 07-24-2008 08:44 PM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

Andrei Popescu 07-24-2008 09:05 PM

On Thu,24.Jul.08, 19:49:23, web32p2@onlime.ch wrote:

> # startx ...works
> $ startx ...does not

It would be useful to see the error messages on that one. Also
/var/log/Xorg.0.log might have some clues.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

web32p2@onlime.ch 07-24-2008 09:13 PM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

web32p2@onlime.ch 07-24-2008 09:17 PM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

>> # startx ...works
>> $ startx ...does not
> I would start by looking in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and making sure the
> "allowed_users" line equals "console".

less /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
# Xwrapper.config (Debian X Window System server wrapper configuration
file)
#
# This file was generated by the post-installation script of the x11-common
# package using values from the debconf database.
#
# See the Xwrapper.config(5) manual page for more information.
#
# This file is automatically updated on upgrades of the x11-common package
# *only* if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of that
package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated
# again, run the following command as root:
# dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
allowed_users=console
nice_value=0

web32p2@onlime.ch 07-25-2008 04:34 AM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

web32p2@onlime.ch 07-25-2008 05:20 AM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

>> # startx ...works
>> $ startx ...does not
> I would start by looking in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and making sure the
> "allowed_users" line equals "console".

less /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
[snip]
allowed_users=console
nice_value=0

I also tried to post less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
but failed twice - maybe the file was too long?
Anyhow I do not expect the problem to be in the
X-Server Configuration because Xorg.0.log has no
error messages (EE).

In /home/sam/.xsession-errors I can see
Xsession: X session started for sam at Fre Jul 25 09:07:21 CEST 2008
open: Permission denied

So, in my opinion this says that users do not have permission to
start X.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

sam

web32p2@onlime.ch 07-25-2008 12:19 PM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

># startx ...works
>$ startx ...does not
> In /home/sam/.xsession-errors I can see
> Xsession: X session started for sam at Fre Jul 25 09:07:21 CEST 2008
> open: Permission denied

Now, I saw somewhere on the web[1] that
chmod 1777 /tmp
might solve the problem. I remember that I was
not able to write to /tmp after the problem came.

I will try this when I am back home after work and let
you know.

sam

[1] linuxforen.de

Samuel Bächler 07-26-2008 03:35 PM

Can't start X-Server as normal user

> # startx ...works $ startx ...does not In
> /home/sam/.xsession-errors I can see Xsession: X session started
> for sam at Fre Jul 25 09:07:21 CEST 2008 open: Permission denied

Now, I saw somewhere on the web[1] that chmod 1777 /tmp might solve
the problem. I remember that I was not able to write to /tmp after
the problem came.

That did the job.

s.