Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Default How to fix resolv.conf?

> When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
> browsing. Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper dns
> servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being filled
> with values different from the ones I want.
>
> Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
> (e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
> Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it must
> be created every time.
>
> Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?

man resolvconf, should help you out

Cheers,
Pavlos

Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 04:35:59PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
> browsing. Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper dns
> servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being filled
> with values different from the ones I want.
>
> Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
> (e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
> Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it must
> be created every time.
>
> Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Install resolvconf

Osamu

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

The Thursday 24 July 2008 17:35:59 Rodolfo Medina, you wrote*:
> When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
> browsing. Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper
> dns servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being
> filled with values different from the ones I want.
>
> Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
> (e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
> Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it
> must be created every time.
>
> Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

What did you try in dhclient.conf ? The option do-forward-updates set to true
should be the answer.

--
Thomas Preud'homme

Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 16:35 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
> browsing. Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper dns
> servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being filled
> with values different from the ones I want.
>
> Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
> (e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
> Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it must
> be created every time.
>
> Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Rodolfo,

I don't understand your issue. Are you using dhcp, you must be, and as
a result, your resolve.conf changes with input from the dhcp server.
Use static IP in /etc/network/interfaces, edit resolv.conf, you are
done.

Here is a copy of my files:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain damtek.org
search damtek.org
nameserver 68.87.68.162
nameserver 68.87.74.162
nameserver 192.168.200.1

cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
# address 192.168.200.15
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# network 192.168.200.0
# broadcast 192.168.200.255
# gateway 192.168.200.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.200.1
dns-search damtek.org
address 192.168.200.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.200.16
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

My dns servers do not now change as a result. If you use dhcp (and have
to use it) then in my case the name servers are given to me by my
router/dns server which gets it from the ISP. I do not have resolveconf
package installed. Does this help?
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:42 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

SNIP

> Thanks. My `/etc/network/interface' is very poor:
>

> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>

> . Now, suppose I want the following ppp connection log output:
>
> local IP address 151.82.24.152
> remote IP address 10.6.6.6
> primary DNS address 193.70.152.25
> secondary DNS address 193.70.192.25
>
> . In /etc/resolv.conf I suppose I have to put the lines:
>
> nameserver 193.70.152.25
> nameserver 193.70.192.25
>
> . How do you suggest I should edit /etc/network/interface?
>
> Thanks
> Rodolfo

Rodolfo,

I do not know what you need for PPP and we will have to wait for someone
who knows to respond.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM