Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
andy

Default Making Kmail attachments available to OOo

Hello

On my wife's Etch machine, running KDE, she is experiencing a problem
opening attachments with OOo (any component - writer, impress, calc,
etc.) once they have been in her inbox for a while. I *think* that what
is happening is that Kmail stores these in .kde/tmp (not the correct
path) and for whatever reason OOo is just not searching there to open
the attachments. Instead, it throws an error message that <filename>
does not exist (or cannot be found - sorry I am doing this from memory).

How do I go about fixing this and ensuring that the directory Kmail uses
to store attachments is in OOo's search path?

Thanks

Andy

Old 07-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:20:53AM +0100, andy wrote:
> Hello
>
> On my wife's Etch machine, running KDE, she is experiencing a problem
> opening attachments with OOo (any component - writer, impress, calc,
> etc.) once they have been in her inbox for a while. I *think* that what
> is happening is that Kmail stores these in .kde/tmp (not the correct
> path) and for whatever reason OOo is just not searching there to open
> the attachments. Instead, it throws an error message that <filename>
> does not exist (or cannot be found - sorry I am doing this from memory).
>
> How do I go about fixing this and ensuring that the directory Kmail uses
> to store attachments is in OOo's search path?

Ummmmm, not exactly sure what you mean but what about saving the
attachment first and *then* opening it in your preferred application.

--
Chris.
======

Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
andy

Ron Johnson wrote:

On my wife's Etch machine, running KDE, she is experiencing a problem
opening attachments with OOo (any component - writer, impress, calc,
etc.) once they have been in her inbox for a while. I *think* that what
is happening is that Kmail stores these in .kde/tmp (not the correct
path) and for whatever reason OOo is just not searching there to open
the attachments. Instead, it throws an error message that <filename>
does not exist (or cannot be found - sorry I am doing this from memory).

How do I go about fixing this and ensuring that the directory Kmail uses
to store attachments is in OOo's search path?

Ummmmm, not exactly sure what you mean but what about saving the
attachment first and *then* opening it in your preferred application.

Could OP be referring to right-clicking on the attachment?

If so, I can't see how the age of the email would be relevant.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.

Chris - if the attachment is saved, then OOo can open it easily enough
from the /home or wherever it is saved to. However, this is only a
partial solution because my wife doesn't always want to save the
attachment and may just want to read it "on the fly".

Ron - I have no idea why (or really *if*) the age of the email is a
factor. It just seems that with KMail, at least, an attachment in a
newly arrived email can be read via a right-click open attachment, but
once they have been stored for a while, can no longer be opened like
that but must be saved as Chris pointed out. I suspected that it may
have something to do with an archiving process that KMail runs, but this
is just a guess (and uneducated at that).

Be this as it may, the crux of the question is how does one include
directories within OOo's path?

Cheers

Andy

Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM
andy

Ron Johnson wrote:

Chris - if the attachment is saved, then OOo can open it easily enough

from the /home or wherever it is saved to. However, this is only a
partial solution because my wife doesn't always want to save the
attachment and may just want to read it "on the fly".

Which is perfectly reasonable.

Ron - I have no idea why (or really *if*) the age of the email is a
factor. It just seems that with KMail, at least, an attachment in a
newly arrived email can be read via a right-click open attachment, but
once they have been stored for a while, can no longer be opened like
that but must be saved as Chris pointed out. I suspected that it may
have something to do with an archiving process that KMail runs, but this
is just a guess (and uneducated at that).

That needs more research on your part as to whether there's an
auto-archive occurring, what the age trigger is, and if, in fact,
that is the cut-off for the ability to read attachments.

Be this as it may, the crux of the question is how does one include
directories within OOo's path?

It doesn't have anything to do with OOo, but KMail. It has to tell
OOo to look "here".

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.

Fair call. Thanks - that'll help narrow my search.