Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 AM
T o n g

Default apt-get new package management capability

Hi,

I remember seeing that apt-get can do orphan packages automatic removal
now. Does it need special setup?

Package installed in my long-overhauled Debian was by debfoster, then
aptitude. Can I just use apt-get for automatic packages clean up now?
How can I transfer the "knowledge" from debfoster/aptitude to apt?

Can anyone show me steps in managing package only by apt-get, or
point me to the right web page?

thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,24.Jul.08, 04:03:17, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember seeing that apt-get can do orphan packages automatic removal
> now. Does it need special setup?
>
> Package installed in my long-overhauled Debian was by debfoster, then
> aptitude. Can I just use apt-get for automatic packages clean up now?
> How can I transfer the "knowledge" from debfoster/aptitude to apt?
>
> Can anyone show me steps in managing package only by apt-get, or
> point me to the right web page?

aptitude is the recommended package manager, why do you want to switch
to apt-get?

Anyway, the logic for auto-installed packages has moved from aptitude to
libapt so all package managers can take advantage of it. If you run
lenny or sid (you didn't say) all you have to do is run
'apt-get autoremove'. AFAIR apt-get will tell you when there are
packages to be autoremoved.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:12:40AM +0300, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On Thu,24.Jul.08, 04:03:17, T o n g wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I remember seeing that apt-get can do orphan packages automatic removal
> > now. Does it need special setup?
> >
> > Package installed in my long-overhauled Debian was by debfoster, then
> > aptitude. Can I just use apt-get for automatic packages clean up now?
> > How can I transfer the "knowledge" from debfoster/aptitude to apt?
> >
> > Can anyone show me steps in managing package only by apt-get, or
> > point me to the right web page?
>
> aptitude is the recommended package manager, why do you want to switch
> to apt-get?
>
> Anyway, the logic for auto-installed packages has moved from aptitude to
> libapt so all package managers can take advantage of it. If you run
> lenny or sid (you didn't say) all you have to do is run
> 'apt-get autoremove'. AFAIR apt-get will tell you when there are
> packages to be autoremoved.

You do need to run aptitude once to transfer the information. It
should move the automatic flags to the apt database and clear them from
its own when you start it (run it without any arguments).

Daniel

Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,24.Jul.08, 07:10:15, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> You do need to run aptitude once to transfer the information. It
> should move the automatic flags to the apt database and clear them from
> its own when you start it (run it without any arguments).

Will this be documented in the release notes?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 07:36:27PM +0300, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On Thu,24.Jul.08, 07:10:15, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> > You do need to run aptitude once to transfer the information. It
> > should move the automatic flags to the apt database and clear them from
> > its own when you start it (run it without any arguments).
>
> Will this be documented in the release notes?

Hm. I'm not even sure who writes the release notes. The release
team, maybe? Google and the Debian wiki don't tell me anything
useful...

So the answer to your question is, I have no idea what will or won't
be documented in the release notes for lenny.

Daniel

Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 07:36:27PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu,24.Jul.08, 07:10:15, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> > You do need to run aptitude once to transfer the information. It
> > should move the automatic flags to the apt database and clear them from
> > its own when you start it (run it without any arguments).
>
> Will this be documented in the release notes?

Only if you ask and help for it to http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot since
release team people write it.

Osamu

Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,25.Jul.08, 06:48:04, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> > > You do need to run aptitude once to transfer the information. It
> > > should move the automatic flags to the apt database and clear them from
> > > its own when you start it (run it without any arguments).
> >
> > Will this be documented in the release notes?
>
> Hm. I'm not even sure who writes the release notes. The release
> team, maybe? Google and the Debian wiki don't tell me anything
> useful...
>
> So the answer to your question is, I have no idea what will or won't
> be documented in the release notes for lenny.

File a bug against release-notes package

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)