Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Dennis Wicks

Default Linux on Dell Inspiron 1720?

Greetings;

We just bought a Dell Inspiron Mod. 1720. It has Win.
Vista installed and it really uis not very impressive.

Does anyone know if Debian will install and run good on
this hardware? It has integrated camera, wi-fi, sound
and graphics. Do you think these will function under linux?

If it won't work it is back tot he store with it!

Thanks for any info or pointers, etc.

Dennis

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 18:43 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> We just bought a Dell Inspiron Mod. 1720. It has Win.
> Vista installed and it really uis not very impressive.
>
> Does anyone know if Debian will install and run good on
> this hardware? It has integrated camera, wi-fi, sound
> and graphics. Do you think these will function under linux?
>
> If it won't work it is back tot he store with it!
>
> Thanks for any info or pointers, etc.
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

First of all, I don't know. But you might also want to check with dell
on linux user list if you don't get info here.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Dennis Wicks

Damon L. Chesser wrote the following on 07/23/2008
07:00 PM:

We just bought a Dell Inspiron Mod. 1720. It has Win.
Vista installed and it really uis not very impressive.

Does anyone know if Debian will install and run good on
this hardware? It has integrated camera, wi-fi, sound
and graphics. Do you think these will function under linux?

If it won't work it is back tot he store with it!

Thanks for any info or pointers, etc.

Dennis

Dennis,

First of all, I don't know. But you might also want to check with dell
on linux user list if you don't get info here.

HTH

Damon,

Thanks! I'll go there and query them!

Dennis

Old 07-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Sebastian Canagaratna

Dennis Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

We just bought a Dell Inspiron Mod. 1720. It has Win. Vista installed
and it really uis not very impressive.

Does anyone know if Debian will install and run good on this hardware?
It has integrated camera, wi-fi, sound and graphics. Do you think these
will function under linux?

If it won't work it is back tot he store with it!

Thanks for any info or pointers, etc.

Dennis

Yes, I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista and I am running
both Vista and Linux (Lenny, Testing). I booted from a cdrom with
netinstall and reformatted the hard-drive, with Vista in the first
partition. I had igrub installed on the Linux partition. I found I
couldn't boot Vista, so I had to reformat the Vista partition with the
disks that came with Dell and reinstalled Vista. I went back to Linux (I
forget whether I did with a Knoppix cdrom or with the netinstall) and
made only the linux partition bootable. Thereafter everything was OK.

I am afraid I didn't take down notes, but the main point is that it can
be done. There may be an easier way to do what I did.

Good Luck.
Sebastian Canagaratna