Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
"Juan Ignacio"

Default Greetings and question

Hi I'm new here, I've been using Ubuntu, but the last edition hardy
it's too bugged in my opinion, so I changed to Debian. I installed it
from the netinstall cd. And I must say it so fast and stable.

Well here is the question, I used apt-get install gtk-qt-engine and it
says that the package couldn't be found. Why isn't the package in the
repositories? I want this package because Firefox looks so awful.

My regards

PD: Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina

--
Juan Ignacio Villarejo

Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 PM
"Edward J. Shornock"

On Thursday 24 July 2008 02.37.16 Juan Ignacio wrote:

> Well here is the question, I used apt-get install gtk-qt-engine and it
> says that the package couldn't be found. Why isn't the package in the
> repositories? I want this package because Firefox looks so awful.

It's in Etch and Sid. If you're running Lenny you could pull it in from Sid.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gtk-qt-engine&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Shachar Or

On Thursday 24 July 2008 02:37, Juan Ignacio wrote:
> Hi I'm new here, I've been using Ubuntu, but the last edition hardy
> it's too bugged in my opinion, so I changed to Debian. I installed it
> from the netinstall cd. And I must say it so fast and stable.
>
> Well here is the question, I used apt-get install gtk-qt-engine and it
> says that the package couldn't be found. Why isn't the package in the
> repositories? I want this package because Firefox looks so awful.

Why it couldn't be found?

http://packages.debian.org/etch/gtk-qt-engine

I don't know...

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Juan Ignacio

Shachar Or escribi:

Hi I'm new here, I've been using Ubuntu, but the last edition hardy
it's too bugged in my opinion, so I changed to Debian. I installed it
from the netinstall cd. And I must say it so fast and stable.

Well here is the question, I used apt-get install gtk-qt-engine and it
says that the package couldn't be found. Why isn't the package in the
repositories? I want this package because Firefox looks so awful.

Why it couldn't be found?

http://packages.debian.org/etch/gtk-qt-engine

I don't know...

My regards

PD: Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina

--
Juan Ignacio Villarejo

Sorry I didn't say that I'm using debian lenny. Is there a problem if I
install a package from another version?

Thank you

Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Marc Shapiro

Juan Ignacio wrote:

Hi I'm new here, I've been using Ubuntu, but the last edition hardy
it's too bugged in my opinion, so I changed to Debian. I installed it
from the netinstall cd. And I must say it so fast and stable.

Well here is the question, I used apt-get install gtk-qt-engine and it
says that the package couldn't be found. Why isn't the package in the
repositories? I want this package because Firefox looks so awful.

My regards

PD: Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina

Juan,

No need to apologize. Your English is better than many posts that I
have seen from native American English speakers and INFINITELY better
than my Spanish.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,24.Jul.08, 00:59:13, Juan Ignacio wrote:

> Sorry I didn't say that I'm using debian lenny. Is there a problem if I
> install a package from another version?

Yes and no. We usually advise against it, but with lenny you sometimes
have to. Put a line with

APT:efault-Release "testing";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf. If the file doesn't exist you will have to create
it. "lenny" instead of "testing" won't work (unless the bug has been
fixed) so will have to take care when lenny gets released. Add a source
for sid and try to install that package with

apt-get install -t your-sid-package

If it doesn't pull any or just a few packages it *should* be pretty
safe, but if it breaks you get to keep both pieces

There is also a page somewhere that tells you why (and how long it
should take) the package is not in testing. Maybe you want to wait for a
few days?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)