FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Vwaju
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

I am building an internet server (primarily to get some experience
with and knowledge of networking).

I installed Debian GNU/Linux 4.9 r3 _Etch_ Official i386 Binary-1
222080218-14:15 (debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso).

I was able to ping both IP addresses and domain names. Then I
installed ssh and rebooted, and I couldn't ping *anything*.

jupiter:/home/admin# ping manhattanhandyman.com
ping: unknown host manhattanhandyman.com

jupiter:/home/admin# ping 216.227.214.3
connect: network is unreachable

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 08:10:41, Vwaju wrote:
> I am building an internet server (primarily to get some experience
> with and knowledge of networking).
>
> I installed Debian GNU/Linux 4.9 r3 _Etch_ Official i386 Binary-1
> 222080218-14:15 (debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso).
>
> I was able to ping both IP addresses and domain names. Then I
> installed ssh and rebooted, and I couldn't ping *anything*.
>
> jupiter:/home/admin# ping manhattanhandyman.com
> ping: unknown host manhattanhandyman.com
>
> jupiter:/home/admin# ping 216.227.214.3
> connect: network is unreachable

Please post the contents of the file /etc/network/interfaces and the
output of '/sbin/ifconfig'

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Chris Davies
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> I am building an internet server (primarily to get some experience
> with and knowledge of networking).

If you're not familiar with networking then I would STRONGLY suggest that
you stay well clear of putting your server directly on the Internet. Put
it behind a good firewall and play there instead.


> I installed [...] debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso

> I was able to ping both IP addresses and domain names. Then I
> installed ssh and rebooted, and I couldn't ping *anything*.

> jupiter:/home/admin# ping 216.227.214.3
> connect: network is unreachable

Your network hasn't come up.

1. What is in your /etc/network/interfaces file?

2. Assuming you're using ethernet to connect your server to the world,
try "ifup eth0" and tell us what it says.

Chris


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Vwaju
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

On Jul 23, 7:30 pm, Chris Davies <chris-use...@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> Vwaju <l...@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> > I am building an internet server (primarily to get some experience
> > with and knowledge of networking).
>
> If you're not familiar with networking then I would STRONGLY suggest that
> you stay well clear of putting your server directly on the Internet. Put
> it behind a good firewall and play there instead.
>
> > I installed [...] debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso
> > I was able to ping both IP addresses and domain names. Then I
> > installed ssh and rebooted, and I couldn't ping *anything*.
> > jupiter:/home/admin# ping 216.227.214.3
> > connect: network is unreachable
>
> Your network hasn't come up.
>
> 1. What is in your /etc/network/interfaces file?
>
> 2. Assuming you're using ethernet to connect your server to the world,
> try "ifup eth0" and tell us what it says.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQU...@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmas...@lists.debian.org

Thank you Andrei and Chris, for your help!

Here are the contents of etc/network/interfaces:

1 #This file describes the network interfaces available on your
system
2 #and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces
(5)
3
4 #The loopback network interface
5 auto lo
6 iface lo inet loopback
7
8 #The primary network interface
9 #I commented out these lines, because I have static IP address
10 #allow-hotplug eth0
11 #iface eth0 inet dhcp
12
13 #I added the following lines (following Linux System Admin p. 13)
14 #netmask and network are guesses, because ISP RCN won't give info
15 auto-eth0
16 iface eth0 inet static
17 address 207.237.37.110
18 netmask 255.255.255.0
19 network 207.237.37.0

ifup eth0 reports:

/etc/network/interfaces:15: option with empty value
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Because RCN has refused to give me the network IP address, netmask,
and gateway, I expect trouble configuring the interface. Any advice
you have about this is welcome.

However, I thought I should first try to figure out how come I was
able to ping by hostname and by IP address, and now I can't

Thanks again for giving this your attention.

Best Regards,
Lou
New York City


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM
abel
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 7:30 pm, Chris Davies <chris-use...@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> > Vwaju <l...@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:

---snip

> 15 auto-eth0
---snip

should be
auto eth0

no '-' in between.
at first glance that is what I see.
 
Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 17:51:02, Vwaju wrote:

> 13 #I added the following lines (following Linux System Admin p. 13)
> 14 #netmask and network are guesses, because ISP RCN won't give info
> 15 auto-eth0
> 16 iface eth0 inet static
> 17 address 207.237.37.110
> 18 netmask 255.255.255.0
> 19 network 207.237.37.0
>
> ifup eth0 reports:
>
> /etc/network/interfaces:15: option with empty value
> ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Is this the entire file or did you omit something?

> Because RCN has refused to give me the network IP address, netmask,
> and gateway, I expect trouble configuring the interface. Any advice
> you have about this is welcome.

How are you supposed to configure it then, via DHCP? The netmask and
network options are not mandatory, but without a gateway...
You could try 207.237.37.1 or .254 for gateway. How did you get it to
work before?

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Chris Davies
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> Here are the contents of etc/network/interfaces:
> [...]
> 15 auto-eth0

Should be "auto eth0" rather than "auto-eth0". Fix that and try the
"ifup eth0" again.

Chris


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

>
>
>
>---- Original Message ----
>From: andreimpopescu@gmail.com
>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: before I could ping, now I can't
>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:00:38 +0300
>
>>On Wed,23.Jul.08, 17:51:02, Vwaju wrote:
>>
>>> 13 #I added the following lines (following Linux System Admin p.
>13)
>>> 14 #netmask and network are guesses, because ISP RCN won't give
>info
>>> 15 auto-eth0
>>> 16 iface eth0 inet static
>>> 17 address 207.237.37.110
>>> 18 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>> 19 network 207.237.37.0
>>>
>>> ifup eth0 reports:
>>>
>>> /etc/network/interfaces:15: option with empty value
>>> ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
>>
>>Is this the entire file or did you omit something?
>>
>>> Because RCN has refused to give me the network IP address,
>netmask,
>>> and gateway, I expect trouble configuring the interface. Any
>advice
>>> you have about this is welcome.
>>
>>How are you supposed to configure it then, via DHCP? The netmask and
>
>>network options are not mandatory, but without a gateway...
>>You could try 207.237.37.1 or .254 for gateway. How did you get it
>to
>>work before?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Andrei
>>--
>>If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
>>(Albert Einstein)
>>
How about configuring the interface for DHCP temporarily. The
protocol with the ISP will then transfer the gateway and network info
which you could then use to reconfigure the interface as static?
Larry




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Vwaju
 
Default before I could ping, now I can't

On Jul 24, 10:50 am, ow...@netptc.net wrote:
> >---- Original Message ----
> >From: andreimpope...@gmail.com
> >To: debian-u...@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: before I could ping, now I can't
> >Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:00:38 +0300
>
> >>On Wed,23.Jul.08, 17:51:02, Vwaju wrote:
>
> >>> 13 #I added the following lines (following Linux System Admin p.
> >13)
> >>> 14 #netmask and network are guesses, because ISP RCN won't give
> >info
> >>> 15 auto-eth0
> >>> 16 iface eth0 inet static
> >>> 17 address 207.237.37.110
> >>> 18 netmask 255.255.255.0
> >>> 19 network 207.237.37.0
>
> >>> ifup eth0 reports:
>
> >>> /etc/network/interfaces:15: option with empty value
> >>> ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
>
> >>Is this the entire file or did you omit something?
>
> >>> Because RCN has refused to give me the network IP address,
> >netmask,
> >>> and gateway, I expect trouble configuring the interface. Any
> >advice
> >>> you have about this is welcome.
>
> >>How are you supposed to configure it then, via DHCP? The netmask and
>
> >>network options are not mandatory, but without a gateway...
> >>You could try 207.237.37.1 or .254 for gateway. How did you get it
> >to
> >>work before?
>
> >>Regards,
> >>Andrei
> >>--
> >>If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> >>(Albert Einstein)
>
> How about configuring the interface for DHCP temporarily. The
> protocol with the ISP will then transfer the gateway and network info
> which you could then use to reconfigure the interface as static?
> Larry
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQU...@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmas...@lists.debian.org

Thank you all for pointing out my bonehead typo.

I fixed this, and I called the RCN "Corporate Escalation Department"
and threatened them with a letter to the FCC if they did not fork over
the IP address of the network my static IP is on, along with the
netmask, gateway, etc.

When I got this info and fixed the typo, it works fine.

Thanks.

Vwaju
New York City


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org