Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default Kernel not changed after Etch -> Lenny upgrading! (was: Umts pendrive modem installation)

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 16:23:32, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> > deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib
> >
> > See http://www.debian.org/mirror for a complete list of mirrors and
> > choose one close to you.
>

> I put that line in /etc/sources.list, then connected to internet and did:
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> . The process took a long time, then I rebooted. But when I do `uname -r' I
> still get the same output as before: 2.6.18-4-k7. How is that possible? I
> wanted to upgrade to Lenny just to upgrade the kernel...

You probably didn't have any kernel metapackage installed or because
there are no more k7 kernels. Try installing linux-image-2.6-686, this
will always pull the latest 2.6 kernel. Old kernels have to be removed
by hand.

If you have an AMD64 processor you might want to try the -amd64 kernel
as well.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)