Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 PM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

Default Kernel not changed after Etch -> Lenny upgrading! (was: Umts pendrive modem installation)

The Wednesday 23 July 2008 16:37:24 Andrei Popescu, you wrote*:
> On Wed,23.Jul.08, 16:23:32, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > > deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib
> > >
> > > See http://www.debian.org/mirror for a complete list of mirrors and
> > > choose one close to you.
> >
> > I put that line in /etc/sources.list, then connected to internet and did:
> >
> > # apt-get update
> > # apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > . The process took a long time, then I rebooted. But when I do `uname
> > -r' I still get the same output as before: 2.6.18-4-k7. How is that
> > possible? I wanted to upgrade to Lenny just to upgrade the kernel...
>
> You probably didn't have any kernel metapackage installed or because
> there are no more k7 kernels. Try installing linux-image-2.6-686, this
> will always pull the latest 2.6 kernel. Old kernels have to be removed
> by hand.
>
> If you have an AMD64 processor you might want to try the -amd64 kernel
> as well.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Or even install linux-image-686 / linux-image-k8 which will install the latest
kernel (So you'll be ready in 15 years if Linux become 2.8 )

--
Thomas Preud'homme

Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib
>
> See http://www.debian.org/mirror for a complete list of mirrors and
> choose one close to you.

I put that line in /etc/sources.list, then connected to internet and did:

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

. The process took a long time, then I rebooted. But when I do `uname -r' I
still get the same output as before: 2.6.18-4-k7. How is that possible? I
wanted to upgrade to Lenny just to upgrade the kernel...

Thanks
Rodolfo