Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
"Brian McKee"

Default Fwd: resurrecting dead mouse

grrrr - missed reply to all (again)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: resurrecting dead mouse
To: Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com>

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Started my workstation today, logged in, launched startx: mouse was dead,
> pointer just sat inactive in the middle of the screen.

I have seen a couple of desktops that every once in a while would not
recognize a PS2 mouse. On both of them rebooting always 'fixed' it.
One of them I found out by accident that it was related to how many
items were plugged into the USB ports. Weird I know, I guessed at the
time that the PS2 ports must use the same power bus that the USB did,
and total power required was causing brown outs so to speak.
The other one seemed to be fixed by a BIOS update.
Of course a bad mouse is possible too...

I wouldn't be too quick to blame X on this one - otherwise wouldn't
logging in and out fix it since you indicated to startx manually?

Brian