-   -   will not reboot (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/130099-will-not-reboot.html)

Shachar Or 07-23-2008 12:40 PM

will not reboot

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 15:27, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop, Intel Duo Core, 2Gb ram, running Lenny,
> 2.6.25.2-686. I don't reboot often, but I was recently away on vacation and
> went to shut down ( then was 2.6.24-1 ) . It gets to a point where it says
> rebooting, after what I think is MOST processes were shut down, then it
> just sits there, and my keyboard is dead ( caps lock light doesn't come
> on..) and I have to hold in the OFF button for 6 seconds, to turn it off.
> It still did it yesterday when I went to the 2.6.25-2 kernel.
> what do I look for as far as stuck processes or logs??

Check that ACPI is on in the BIOS setup and that there's no kernel boot
parameter turning off ACPI.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Andrei Popescu 07-23-2008 12:48 PM

will not reboot

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 08:27:53, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop, Intel Duo Core, 2Gb ram, running Lenny, 2.6.25.2-686. I
> don't reboot often, but I was recently away on vacation and went to shut down
> ( then was 2.6.24-1 ) . It gets to a point where it says rebooting, after
> what I think is MOST processes were shut down, then it just sits there, and
> my keyboard is dead ( caps lock light doesn't come on..) and I have to hold
> in the OFF button for 6 seconds, to turn it off. It still did it yesterday
> when I went to the 2.6.25-2 kernel.
> what do I look for as far as stuck processes or logs??

What is the last message? Compare that with the sequence in /etc/rc.0/

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Paul Cartwright 07-23-2008 01:21 PM

will not reboot

On Wed July 23 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > when I went to the 2.6.25-2 kernel.
> > what do I look for as far as stuck processes or logs??
>
> *
> What is the last message? Compare that with the sequence in /etc/rc.0/
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

took me a while to figure this out.. in reality, what I have is /etc/rc0.d
does this tell me the last 2 things to happen are:
S60umountroot
S90halt

it looks like S90 looks for apcupsd/ups-monitor, which i have...
and this:

# apctest

2008-07-23 09:18:57 apctest 3.14.4 (18 May 2008) debian
Checking configuration ...
Attached to driver: usb
sharenet.type = DISABLE
cable.type = USB_CABLE

You are using a USB cable type, so I'm entering USB test mode
mode.type = USB_UPS
Setting up the port ...
apctest FATAL ERROR in device.c at line 70
Unable to create UPS lock file.
If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
please stop it and run this program again.
apctest error termination completed
paulandcilla:/etc/rc0.d#

# /etc/init.d/apcupsd stop
Stopping UPS power management: No process in pidfile `/var/run/apcupsd.pid'
found running; none killed.
apcupsd.

now what..

does this mean anything?

Andrei Popescu 07-23-2008 01:34 PM

will not reboot

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 09:21:36, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed July 23 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
*
> > What is the last message? Compare that with the sequence in /etc/rc.0/
>
> took me a while to figure this out.. in reality, what I have is /etc/rc0.d

Sorry, typo...

> now what..
>
> does this mean anything?

Not to me, but somebody else might have an idea. Did you try looking
through the bugs for the respective package?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Paul Cartwright 07-23-2008 01:38 PM

will not reboot

On Wed July 23 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > in the OFF button for 6 seconds, to turn it off. It still did it
> > yesterday when I went to the 2.6.25-2 kernel.
> > what do I look for as far as stuck processes or logs??
>
> *
> What is the last message? Compare that with the sequence in /etc/rc.0/

ok, I rebooted again and here are the last messages on the screen:

Unmounting local filesystems...done
Stopping UPS power management-warning, failed to kill pid 3651:no such process
( 3651 was apcupsd )

1 pid not killed
no process in pidfile /var/run/acpupsd.pid found running
(that file had 3651 in it before I shut down)

rm: cannot remove /var/run/apcupsd.pid READ Only filesystem
will now restart
[9485.842679] restarting system
[9485.842718] machine restart

and there it sat until I hit the reset button.

I do have an APC UPS on my system, backups office 600, connected via USB
cable.

Paul Cartwright 07-23-2008 02:06 PM

will not reboot

On Wed July 23 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > does this mean anything?
>
> *
> Not to me, but somebody else might have an idea. Did you try looking
> through the bugs for the respective package?

how do you find them??

Andrei Popescu 07-23-2008 02:16 PM

will not reboot

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 10:06:10, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed July 23 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > does this mean anything?
> >
> > *
> > Not to me, but somebody else might have an idea. Did you try looking
> > through the bugs for the respective package?
>
> how do you find them??

http://bugs.debian.org/<package>

If you are pretty sure it is a bug and it is not listed there then
please consider reporting it (tip: reportbug).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Shachar Or 07-23-2008 03:25 PM

will not reboot

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 16:00, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed July 23 2008, Shachar Or wrote:
> > Check that ACPI is on in the BIOS setup and that there's no kernel boot
> > parameter turning off ACPI.
>
> how do I check if there is a boot parameter turning off ACPI??

In /boot/grub/menu.lst, the '## default kernel options' section. Mine is
# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro noapic.

Read the menu.lst manual.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Shachar Or 07-23-2008 03:28 PM

will not reboot

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 16:02, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed July 23 2008, Shachar Or wrote:
> > Check that ACPI is on in the BIOS setup and that there's no kernel boot
> > parameter turning off ACPI.
>
> here is the grub menu.lst entry that I am booting from:
>
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
> root (hd0,5)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro expertgui i386
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.25-2-686

Perhaps you can install another kernel and try it.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Andrei Popescu 07-23-2008 03:36 PM

will not reboot

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 18:28:27, Shachar Or wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 16:02, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > On Wed July 23 2008, Shachar Or wrote:
> > > Check that ACPI is on in the BIOS setup and that there's no kernel boot
> > > parameter turning off ACPI.
> >
> > here is the grub menu.lst entry that I am booting from:
> >
> > title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
> > root (hd0,5)
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro expertgui i386

What are these supposed to do? Just curious, I don't think they do any
harm.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)